starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Deadlift Cycle?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by davetooch View Post
    Thank you for your time for writing back, i appreciate it. On your 8 doubles/triples do you do any back off work? Im writing this down in my log for future reference. Also, noticed you said squatting once a week. Were you still able to make gains by doing so? I know squatting before deadlifts fatigue me a little, but i don't think thats the reason i failed 540.

Im going to try this 5,3,1 probably stick with +5 on my top sets but +10 on the back offs doesn't seem unreasonable.
    Yes, I squat only once per week, using a similar pattern as deadlifts. I don't do any backoff work for either lift, and my squat progresses about 10lbs every 5-6 weeks when I train like that.

I squat only once per week largely due to schedule concerns. I have four days to train, about an hour each. One day is for deadlifts. Two are for Press/bench, and the remaining day is for squats. Contrary to many opinions around here, you don't always NEED to squat multiple times per week, especially if you are deadlifting regularly and with a decent volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Also might want to consider doing Pendlay rows in place of cleans. I know MBasic has mentioned those in place of cleans before in other threads, and I agree with him as well.
    Yeah i was told cleans needed to be 50% of pull for them to have any effect on my pull but im just not getting the form down. This sounds like a wise approach. Thank you for your input, appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by hamburgerfan View Post
    Based on normal expectations of performance at given percentages, it doesn't look like you added much strength by going from 470x5 to 535x1. For this reason, your 5/3/1 plan looks way too aggressive and I would be worried about burning out quickly.
    I am glad I posted here and all the feedback i am receiving. I think even working my singles up started to burn me out. Another option besides 5/3/1 would be 8/5/2 but that obviously would be steep drop in weight to hit 8's, probably 365 ish or so

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    Yes, I squat only once per week, using a similar pattern as deadlifts. I don't do any backoff work for either lift, and my squat progresses about 10lbs every 5-6 weeks when I train like that.

I squat only once per week largely due to schedule concerns. I have four days to train, about an hour each. One day is for deadlifts. Two are for Press/bench, and the remaining day is for squats. Contrary to many opinions around here, you don't always NEED to squat multiple times per week, especially if you are deadlifting regularly and with a decent volume.
    totally understandable. That makes sense with such a time constraint. Im fortunate enough to have a fairly flexible amount of time, however I do enjoy time out of the gym as well lol.

I'm going to check out your log shortly. I want to learn more about this 8x3. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Yeah, given OP's level of strength, hitting volume at this level might be ineffective.

It's probably time to start cycling rep ranges and lowering the intensity of the light days a bit. If you're hitting 475x5 with some drop sets, that session could take nearly a week for full recovery.
    Hey thanks for chiming in. Appreciate your time. I mentioned a post or two up about an 8/5/2 instead of the 5/3/1, would this be on a better track towards cycling rep ranges?

As far as lowering the intensity of light days, is that in reference to what i do after heavy squats? Thanks again.

Also, sorry I forgot to post this. I met with SSC Skillin in February. He helps me out tremendously and is not a far ride at all. At this time my deadlifts were at 480x3 and he wrote me this plan

Week1: 465x5
    Week2: 485x2x3 (3 doubles)
    Backoff 435x1x3 (3 singles)
    Week3: 500x1x5 (5 singles)

And i think I would progress +5 on all those. This is something i was too stubborn to consider as i just wanted that 500. I should have realized sooner this isn't a race.

I appreciate everyone helping me out to get back on track

Andy mentions in one article actually doing 8/5/2/5/3/1 as a six week cycle, that might be worth looking into for "H" day.

The light day is more about actually being light squats when you have a light squat day. With your current set up, I'd consider dropping the percentage on Friday from 90% by 5-10%. Your heavy day might not be fully recovered by Friday.

I kinda misspoke, maybe your "medium"'day should feel more "medium".
    I wanted to do 8/5/2 but the thought was to try 5/3/1 to get accustomed to volume again but Friday i had 475x3 and then 2 singles. I was fried. The 8/5/2/5/3/1 sounds actually pretty interesting. Thanks for this!

But yes, i made that move as well. Friday i will be doing 80%~ give or take. I did 375x5x3 this Friday because they were KG plates and well plate math 🤷🏻*♂️

starting strength coach development program
    I goofed up the cycle. It's 6/4/2/5/3/1.

Here's the article:

Alternating Rung Method ? Andy Baker
    Haha all good. Thanks for the link, reading now.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12