starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Deadlift Cycle?

Default New Deadlift Cycle?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all,

Just posted in Andys programming thread, but welcoming all feedback.

M, 29yr, 230lbs

Tuesdays i squat heavy, most recent was 470x3 and then 405 5r x 3sets beltless. I used to powerclean after but form is off so im planning on switching to stiff leg dead lifts just unsure of the starting weight and rep x set scheme

Friday i squat 5r x 3sets @ 90% of tuesday and then deadlift. I hook everything and have never used straps yet. I ran 5's up to 470, 3's up to 500, and then singles up to 535 followed by backoff of 5 (505x1, 405x5). When i came up to 535 i failed it, took a week of and then got it. Week later i went to 540 and failed it. My close friend Agilic here on the board has proposed this cycle for me.

W1: 475X5, 435X5
    W2: 505X3, 435X5
    W3: 540X1, 435X5
    W4: 480X5, 440X5
    W5: 510X3, 440X5
    W6: 545X1, 440X5 and so on...

just curious what may have worked for others in general. Thanks again.

I've consistently made my best deadlift gains when I do eight doubles / triples at 80% 1RM. Start at 8x2 & work towards 8x3 (16-24 reps), with no more than 3 minutes between sets. Done only once per week, and only squatting once per week also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chebass88 View Post
    I've consistently made my best deadlift gains when I do eight doubles / triples at 80% 1RM. Start at 8x2 & work towards 8x3 (16-24 reps), with no more than 3 minutes between sets. Done only once per week, and only squatting once per week also.
    Thank you for this. I guess i should also ask at what point did you incorporate this?

I started SS in dec 15' with a 250ish deadlift. Did the +5lbs 3 days a week, 2 days a week, then the obvious 1 day a week. Up until 2 weeks ago i still have been adding 5lbs a week to my deadlift and stalled at 535.

Do you think the 5/3/1 plan i had presented may have been to aggressive? Obviously we cannot all speak for each other and i appreciate your input based on your experience. Knowledge gainz are still gainz indeed.

I really want to compete in the fall classic so i was hoping this 5/3/1 could get me up there and then cycle into a 8/5/2. I did also stumble across the article on rack pulls and halting deadlifts as well ...lots of options i suppose ill just have to see what works best

I took my deadlift from 515 to 565 over a year and a half (that included when little ones were born, so a lot of time was lost) using a rotating rep max (1RM, 3RM, 5RM) with higher volume backoff work. I took my deadlift from 565 to 635 using the program I described. I'm a little burned out on it right now, but I'll use it to get 700 as well.

The program you posted might work well. The best thing I can recommend is to try it. You may want to try a 10lb jump in each cycle, instead of the 5lb jump shown. From my experience, squats and deadlifts can progress at about 10lbs/month. Doing something like what you proposed would be good for a 6week experiment.

Find something that works for you. Even if you try something and it doesn't work as well as you might think - no problem. Learn from your results and improve during the next cycle.
    Last edited by Chebass88; 06-20-2017 at 09:16 PM.

Thank you for your time for writing back, i appreciate it. On your 8 doubles/triples do you do any back off work? Im writing this down in my log for future reference. Also, noticed you said squatting once a week. Were you still able to make gains by doing so? I know squatting before deadlifts fatigue me a little, but i don't think thats the reason i failed 540.

Im going to try this 5,3,1 probably stick with +5 on my top sets but +10 on the back offs doesn't seem unreasonable.

Also might want to consider doing Pendlay rows in place of cleans. I know MBasic has mentioned those in place of cleans before in other threads, and I agree with him as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Also might want to consider doing Pendlay rows in place of cleans. I know MBasic has mentioned those in place of cleans before in other threads, and I agree with him as well.
    I think cleans are useless for anyone that is focusing on Powerlifting.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I think cleans are useless for anyone that is focusing on Powerlifting.
    Oh dude I agree, I don't know any elite level powerlifter that does them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Oh dude I agree, I don't know any elite level powerlifter that does them.
    I knew you did.

starting strength coach development program
    Based on normal expectations of performance at given percentages, it doesn't look like you added much strength by going from 470x5 to 535x1. For this reason, your 5/3/1 plan looks way too aggressive and I would be worried about burning out quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast