starting strength gym

Thread: Advanced novice question

Default Advanced novice question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have PP on the way but i thought I'd ask this question as I need to adjust my programming now as I'm getting stuck

Current lifts
    Squat 135kg
    Press 55kg
    Deadlift 155 kg
    Bench 78 kg

Weight 175 height 5 ' 9 age 25.

I don't clean as I workout upstairs in my house (soon to change) so it's to unsafe

My squats are starting to stall and after a reset I'm back to where I was with it stalling over again at the same weight. So gather i need to adjust my programming as eating more hasn't helped.

Would doing 1 set of pr squats every session followed by 2 back off sets be sufficient to continue progress, while keeping the rest of the programming the same? As I said pp is on the way but I just need something to work with until it arrives.

How are they stalling? Are you missing the first set or getting the first set but then missing sets 2 and 3?

Ex: 4,4,3 or 5,4,4???

Check your rest times between sets. If you are generally getting the first set but missing the last 2 then use the 1x5 + 2x5 backoff method. If you are missing the first set then try switching to 3x3

Thanks for your reply Andy. I usually hit the first set of 5 at a push but the second 2 sets fall apart. Rest is usually about 15 minutes between sets.

Shall I run the 1 set of 5 plus 2 back offs until I start missing and then move to intermediate or switch to 3x3 after?

Keep progressing that top set of 5 with a couple of lighter back offs and then when that runs out drop to 3x3. 3x3 won't last more than a few weeks. Its just a way to squeeze a few more drops out of the lemon. After that you are probably ready for intermediate programming. The big variable in all this is bodyweight. At 5'9 and 25 years old, 175 is pretty light. You could easily push up to 225 over several months or a year and squeeze out some more LP.

European here, so have to do some converting but wauw....

Im 5'8". 172 cm. Around 73 kg. 1rm DL , 160, SQ 135 at a meet.

What would you have me weigh?

Srry for jacking. Its just every time I see those heigth and weight ratios I literally fall of my chair of amasement. He is barely taller and should weigh 100 kg?

starting strength coach development program
    225 is not that heavy for a 25 year old male who is 5'9. He doesn't need to weigh that next week or even next month. But spending 6-12 months slowly creeping bodyweight up to 225 is not unreasonable. I'm 5'4 and currently weight 212. Drug free. He could weigh 200 at the minimum. 175 lbs at 5'9 is too light for a serious lifter.