starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Was my DL reset not big enough?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Uh, but not eating enough protein doesn't cause stalling?

Pulling it all with his back? So you think the back extends the hips...

If your shins are too close to the bar, I'd expect to see the hips drop as the shins move forward to push the bar over the mid foot

Maybe I'm wrong about this guy, but you can't use back angle to determine whether the starting position of the bar is correct. Some people have longer legs. I've seen a girl with such long femurs have a start position where her hips are higher than her shoulders. In AWAS, Lon Kilgore shows a woman with similar proportions
    Do you think that protein is the one and only key to gains? Do you think that he would stall if he were only eating 180g protein per day instead of 250g? Like I said, of all the variables to consider, protein is near the bottom of OP's list.

And are you purposely being dense with the hip extension comment? This is a matter of GETTING THE BAR OFF THE GROUND WITH A LEG EXTENSION FIRST, or pushing the floor away with your feet, then finishing with a hip extension. But guess what happens if you don't use your legs as much as you should in the initial part of the pull because of straight legs and more vertical shins? You're basically doing an RDL. And guess which exercise allows you to lift more weight, the deadlift or the RDL? And guess why that might cause an early stall in someone's "deadlift?"

Watch OP's video again. Look at his very last rep (it happens every rep, but is more pronounced on the last). What happens the instant the bar comes off the ground? His knees and shins shift backward and become even more vertical as the bar drifts away from him. What does that tell you?
    Last edited by marcf; 06-21-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Do you think that protein is the one and only key to gains? Do you think that he would stall if he were only eating 180g protein per day instead of 250g? Like I said, of all the variables to consider, protein is near the bottom of OP's list.

And are you purposely being dense with the hip extension comment? This is a matter of GETTING THE BAR OFF THE GROUND WITH A LEG EXTENSION FIRST, or pushing the floor away with your feet, then finishing with a hip extension. But guess what happens if you don't use your legs as much as you should in the initial part of the pull because of straight legs and more vertical shins? You're basically doing an RDL. And guess which exercise allows you to lift more weight, the deadlift or the RDL? And guess why that might cause an early stall in someone's "deadlift?"

Watch OP's video again. Look at his very last rep (it happens every rep, but is more pronounced on the last). What happens the instant the bar comes off the ground? His knees and shins shift backward and become even more vertical as the bar drifts away from him. What does that tell you?
    Find me the post where I said protein is 'the one and only key to gains'. I asked if he was sure he was getting 250g of protein you got oddly defensive, dismissing it as even a factor

You might be right on the deadlift bit but I can't really see it myself. I think a better angle is needed. If the bar is behind the middle of the foot (closer to the shins) then why wouldn't the hips drop as the shins move forward to push the bar over the midfoot?

Find me the post where I said protein is 'the one and only key to gains'. I asked if he was sure he was getting 250g of protein you got oddly defensive, dismissing it as even a factor

You might be right on the deadlift bit but I can't really see it myself. I think a better angle is needed. If the bar is behind the middle of the foot (closer to the shins) then why wouldn't the hips drop as the shins move forward to push the bar over the midfoot?
    This question answers my question to you: it's because his shins and knees are drifting away from the bar, so it's not pushing the bar forward.

All I'm saying is his protein intake shouldn't even be in the discussion because it's not a factor. He could be eating 150g protein a day and he still won't stall.

This question answers my question to you: it's because his shins and knees are drifting away from the bar, so it's not pushing the bar forward.

All I'm saying is his protein intake shouldn't even be in the discussion because it's not a factor. He could be eating 150g protein a day and he still won't stall.
    150g could easily not be enough protein to sustain progress when deadlifting ~300lbs. That's not even close to his body weight in lbs

If his shins are coming back then they were too far forward (as was the barbell). If this is the case his hips would be too low, not too high. So everyone is saying his hips are too high, bar too close to his shins, etc. But you're saying his shins are coming back, which would happen if the bar starts too close to his toes

150g could easily not be enough protein to sustain progress when deadlifting ~300lbs. That's not even close to his body weight in lbs
    You're wrong. Arguing with you about this is like arguing with a wall. A dense wall.
    Last edited by marcf; 06-21-2017 at 03:04 PM.

You're wrong. Arguing with you about this is like arguing with a wall. A dense wall.
    Then why did you bother challenging my post when it didn't involve you?

Then why did you bother challenging my post when it didn't involve you?
    To prevent OP from making a mistake.

To prevent OP from making a mistake.
    Yes, more protein is definitely a mistake. I'm not interested in justifying my position to you and it's odd that you think you deserve an explanation. All responses I've made to your posts have been to hopefully convince the OP that it's worth considering his protein is not too high and the bar position might not be too close to the shins (or too far - your position, which is opposite to everyone else's in the thread) rather than too wide a grip or down to his specific anthropometry

You're an idiot and you think too highly of your own opinion. You challenge me on a post I make - addressed to someone else - and then when I discuss it with you, you come back with an incredibly arrogant "You're wrong.". You can't even decide on where you think the bar position ought to be (too far forward or too far back) but you're adamant that you're right.

You post a lot on this forum trying to advise people (hilariously even people stronger / more experienced). Take a dose of humility, stop trying to impart your pseudo-wisdom and focus on your own training for a while
    Last edited by Kregna; 06-21-2017 at 05:10 PM.

Sorry about that, Vegetableboy. I didn't realize that you have to eat 2x your LEAN BODY MASS in grams of protein to continue making gains. Carry on, Vegetableboy.

starting strength coach development program
    Let's get a kickstarter going to have you guys 1v1 IRL. Illegal choke holds not allowed. Rice throws encouraged.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast