starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Was my DL reset not big enough?

Default Was my DL reset not big enough?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am on my ninth week of LP. I had previously done about 8 weeks of LP 18 months ago, but this time I plan on sticking it out.

36m
    Body weight started at 184lbs. I am currently at 191lbs.

Food
    I average 3200-3500 calories per day of 85% clean, single ingredient food. My target until 3 weeks ago was 2500. Supplement 5g creatine a day.
    Fat - 110g
    Carbs - 310g
    Pro - 250g

Rest
    I sleep 7.5 - 9 hours a day

Lifts
    Squat - 165>212.5
    Bench - 165>195
    OHP - 105>120
    PC(stated this last week) - 105>115
    DL - 255>295

My question is on my DL. At 295 I could only do 4 reps with a slight round in the lower back.
    I reset back to 280, and started adding PC's every other training day.
    I hit 280 for 5 on Sunday, did PC on Wed, then today I went to 285 and could only get 4 reps with lumbar rounding. .

Did I not reset back far enough? How is my form? This really frustrated me. Any advice would help.

Please get a belt immediately. Your back angle relative to the ground is super flat. You should figure out how to get your torso more vertical and use your quads in the lift. With a back angle like that your DLs are like stiff legged DLs, and 295x5 SLDL is silly high if you're squat is 212.5x5. Take some videos from other angles that allow your shins, feet, and the bar to be visible at the start of the lift and post a form check to the SSC Q&A.

Post in the technique section... the bar looks like it's too close to your shins, it should be mid-foot. The heel is also not helping you here.

Yeah, these are closer to stiff legged deadlifts than deadlifts. The good news is SLDLs are harder than deads!! You are either 1) too close to the bar when setting up or 2) you shifted your weight onto your toes when you bent over to grab the bar. My bet is that you that you are too close to the bar. This is a good recap of our pulling model and common faults in the setup, to include setting up too close to the bar

I think fixing your technique will be enough to "unstick" you. However, I don't think your reset was significant enough to work on form or give you a break in order to deload, etc...

Are you sure you're really getting 250g of protein a day?

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    Are you sure you're really getting 250g of protein a day?
    I think that's far from the most important thing here.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I think that's far from the most important thing here.
    I didn't say it was the most important thing. But it's important

Thank you. Will be checking out that video tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Kregna View Post
    I didn't say it was the most important thing. But it's important
    You think, of all the variables at play here, that 250g of protein for a 191lb lifter is important enough to make sure he's actually getting in all that protein? Ok.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    You think, of all the variables at play here, that 250g of protein for a 191lb lifter is important enough to make sure he's actually getting in all that protein? Ok.
    I'm guessing you're referencing his body weight to imply that 250g of protein is plenty for his size. I'm questioning whether he's actually getting 250. I don't think he would stall at that deadlift weight if he was

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast