starting strength gym

Thread: Progression Question, Urgent help needed!

Default Progression Question, Urgent help needed!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Is it too early to switch to 3x3 on squats from 3x5 been at 225 lbs for 2 months (deloaded 3 times everytime i reach a stall around 225-235 range) my form is perfect i squat atg high bar i have like 6 weeks left on ur novice program to hit the numbers. At 365 dead 200 bench 135 ohp. Everything progresses except the squat, it took me 7 months to go from 135lbs to 225lbs. I always video squat, bar over midfoot, perfect form, no rounding, feels comfortable and so on, but often enough i find myself grinding/failing reps almost as close as the following workout. I've never had a week without a fail on the squat after i hit 135 lbs. I eat a lot (3500 cals and i gain 2lb a month sometimes more) and i sleep well. I wanna know if i should switch to a different rep scheme or cut progression from 5lb to 2.5lbs. Im running starting strength and i enjoy high bar squats a lot and i may start oly lifting and i dont need really want to low bar squat. I need help to how i can sustain a linear progression on my squat and get to a 315 lb high bar squat at depth well below parallel not necessarily full atg.

You have so many problems. Obligatory You're not doing the program, and I'm assuming you haven't read the book because you wouldn't have these questions. Yes it's far too early. Everyone's different but I made 10 lb jumps to a 265 squat.. Stop squatting "atg high bar" just for the sake of being a cool guy who squats atg high bar. Learn to do a proper low bar squat because you aren't doing the program if you aren't low bar squatting. Post your high bar as a form check just for the hell of it.

I've been squatting high bar from even before i knew different squats were there. anyways here. 100Kg ATG Squat @94 Kgs - YouTube

Looks about 5-6 inches deeper than it needs to be. Buy the damn book, read the damn book. In the meantime learn to low bar squat at an easy weight and post form checks every time, Rip has some great videos on the SS YouTube channel. Also, please read the sticky on form checks, crop your videos and get a better angle.

Don't get obsessed with "doing the program." In my experience, the biggest recipe for failure is doing exercises you don't enjoy. If you like high bar squats, then stick with them (particularly since you're very good at the form.) It's tough to pinpoint exactly what the issue is. As I said, your technique is pretty damn good, so no issues there. I can only take your word that your nutrition is good, so we'll assume that's the case. Here's something I think might be the issue. SS prescribes rep ranges that are generally low and intense. Maybe you already do this, but you might want to experiment with lowering the weight and pushing the reps up to the 8-10 range for a while. I know you've mentioned you've deloaded multiple times, but people tend to handle deloads differently. I'd try spending more time at those lower weights and then slowly moving back up. Five pounds per week rather than per workout like many do. Just my two cents. My word certainly isn't gospel, but I've done lots of trial and error in the gym and I think this could be useful advice.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by xgoldy97 View Post
    I've been squatting high bar from even before i knew different squats were there. anyways here. 100Kg ATG Squat @94 Kgs - YouTube
    And you are only at 225.

I wouldn't see that as an argument for anything.