starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ran out of weight and on a budget

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have two jobs at the moment. I am planning on getting more weight and should be able to in January of 2018(My boss is giving me a promotion that is official at that time.) My question was more directed at the programming aspect. As in, can I still make progress in the mean time?

WHEN I get more weight I will buy the ones I want and not simply the ones I can afford. I am a little OCD and like for things to match. In the interim, I am trying to be frugal and not purchase something now only to later purchase something more. There are plenty of things I wan to do but it is a fact that resources are finite and I really hate being wasteful.

It's pretty hard to get stronger without lifting something heavier. You can use more reps, higher frequency, or various other things, and those will all have their own adaptations. But so far as getting stronger, there's not a whole lot else you can do.

I buy what I can afford now. Later down the road I'll get a nice adjustable bench, power rack, matching weights, etc. When that happens, I'll just sell all my non-matching weights and equipment back on craigslist/offer up.

You know, I don't think OP actually needs or wants any advice. He was just humble-bragging.

Well done sir. Keep it up.

Vegvisir, I understand being a little OCD and liking for things to match - believe me. However, in letting this tendency run your life, you will also be choosing to not get as strong as you could and should. You are inventing an unnecessary obstacle.

Instead of looking at it as not wanting to buy something that doesn't match what you have or what you want to have, think of it as something temporary that you can sell when you have the money to buy what you want.

Obtaining strength is, in the long run, much more important than having equipment that isn't optimal (aesthetically or otherwise) for a temporary amount of time. If you do your shopping well, you can easily get your money back out of whatever you purchase used. So, there really is no waste potential there.

Sooo... you're willing to sacrifice six months of progress to avoid the trauma of having a few plates that don't match the rest?

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I buy what I can afford now. Later down the road I'll get a nice adjustable bench, power rack, matching weights, etc. When that happens, I'll just sell all my non-matching weights and equipment back on craigslist/offer up.
    I already have a nice rack, adj. bench, quality barbell etc. I train 4 day/week, get plenty of calories and adequate rest. And I understand the concept of selling the non-matching later. In one of my earlier replies I stated that I was a minimalist. What I should have said is that I am an staunch, minimalist zealot. I do not accumulate things that do not have utility and that I do not intend to keep for a VERY long time. I drive a 98 Toyota Tundra with 280K miles on it. I will continue to drive it until I am forced to rebuild or replace the engine. I don't do excess... ever. I don't even have cable.... Someone(not you) recommended craigslist and a credit card in the same line but I'm not about CC's.

Although, there is an old scrap yard nearby my house. Maybe I could see if they have any old chains sitting around. I already have some nylon straps and karabiners I could use to attach them. And another user recommended negative deadlifts. I could definitely do those and I could do RDL's to continue to strengthen my posterior chain...

This has been a productive brainstorming sessions.

Thank you to everyone.

~Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Sooo... you're willing to sacrifice six months of progress to avoid the trauma of having a few plates that don't match the rest?
    Please see my response to Aaron Montgomery. It is not that I am willing to sacrifice progress. I am simply not willing to sacrifice certain lifestyle(accumulation of stuff and excess) and financial values in pursuit of another goal. I am only 33 and have been active my whole life: wrestling, rock climbing, Marine Corps, tough mudders, hiking etc. I am in excellent health and will continue to maintain the strength I have accumulates till I can buy what I want/need and in cash. But some of the suggestions here that have actually spoken to programming, which was the focus of my post, have been helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cwd View Post
    You know, I don't think OP actually needs or wants any advice. He was just humble-bragging.

Well done sir. Keep it up.
    What is OP? Original Post maybe?

I am not trying to brag actually(My numbers aren't actually brag-worthy). I am trying to temporarily solve my problem without costing me any more money till I can afford to do so. I prefer to pay cash for the thing I purchase and prefer to purchase only things I actually want and need.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    In addition to adding volume (frequency, reps, etc.) here are some other exercises you can add in.

Deficit deadlifts
    Paused squats
    Paused bench
    Close grip bench
    Pendlay rows
    Bent over rows
    Thank you for the recommendations. I hadn't considered Deficit deadlifts but those and RDL's might actually help.

~Dan

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast