starting strength gym
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Ran out of weight and on a budget

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsmuts View Post
    The idea of having a bunch of chains sitting around offends my inner minimalist. Would it really be worse to have plates that don't match? Old chains will probably stink like oil and rust. Hellll no. That's not coming in my basement. . . .

You have a Rogue rack. I guess that's why you can't afford any more plates. Ha.

The rower is a luxury. I'm surprised that you bought one. Interesting. I guess times are lean these days. If it's a C2, you can get a lot for it. There's a lot of demand for these. I could probably get 700 for my C2. . . . (I could probably get 600 for my Assault Bike, though I've never seen on for sale.)

I like the idea of selling the rower, buying an airdyne and some plates, and socking away the rest of the the cash for emergencies. Sounds like things are pretty tight. That can be scary.

I don't have cable either, not for 15 years. I have the internet and know how to torrent. . . .

I don't see why you need a new truck. Toyota trucks (the Hillux, not the Tundra) are the vehicles of choice for insurgents around the world. The top gear series on the Hillux

The chains would be free and degreaser is cheap(about $2 at autozone). Also, my gym is in the garage partly to keep the garage from becoming a storage unit. As much as i would like more plates, i enjoy the rower. It is esp good for active recovery day during light weeks. And I hate running with a passion so the rower is a great steady-state alternative to hitting the pavement. Unfortunately, some cardio is beneficial.

Same here on the cable. I havent had it since I moved outta mom's house at 17. (Now 33).

But i do love me some top gear and yes Yota's are great trucks. Gonna make it my goal to not have another car payment till i hit 40 at least. As far as matching plates go, i installed cork matt flooring bought from tractor supply co. At 1/3 the price rogue was offering. I'm renting and trying to protect the floors with bumper plates and the flooring. Also, great for noise reduction. I live in a tight neighborhood and dont wanna disturb my neighbors.

Sounds like you have already prioritized rowing over getting stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Sounds like you have already prioritized rowing over getting stronger.
    I get it. I have a ton of hangups. But I'm serious about my training, just not at the expense of financial responsibility and goals. If I wanted to, I could have 150lbs more by next week. I'd just have to stop this months contribution to my toddler's 529k college savings fund. But, his education is more important than a 500lb squat. As far as the rower goes, I think you're underestimating my hate for running. My employer requires a Certain level of physical readiness which includes a run. Unfortunately, its a condition of employment. I have to maintain good enough cardio to pass it. Rowing is the next best alternative to running.

An Airdyne is a stationary bicycle. No running involved. Also, arguably a better tool for conditioning than a rower.

An Airdyne is a stationary bicycle. No running involved. Also, arguably a better tool for conditioning than a rower.
    Manveer is just about always right (or always?). You seem to be creating unneeded obstacles. You can find a way to get some plates, then you can trade them in or sell them for something else later. I'm all for living within your means, but it sure sounds like you could have more iron by next week if you really wanted to continue your progression.

Or you can wait and alter your programming for now. It's fine either way, but it's sure not sounding like you *can't* get more plates. You don't want to right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    Manveer is just about always right (or always?).
    Eeeeew. Gross. Get a room.

No his launch angle for maximum trajectory length of a projectile was totes off.

Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    Manveer is just about always right (or always?).
    Wow, quite the endorsement. I showed my wife and she has agreed to concede all future arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    No his launch angle for maximum trajectory length of a projectile was totes off.
    Bro, it is better if everything leaves the earth in a direct vertical line. Barbells, missiles, bullets, aircraft... just the facts. I have done the maths.

Wow, quite the endorsement. I showed my wife and she has agreed to concede all future arguments.

Bro, it is better if everything leaves the earth in a direct vertical line. Barbells, missiles, bullets, aircraft... just the facts. I have done the maths.

Hahahaha

A prowler is <$100 at Dick's and will handle all your cardio needs.

For weight, get two 95# of concrete and two Ikea bags. It won't work for DLs but you said it's needed for bench.

Also, 35# plates tend to be super cheap on the used market.

starting strength coach development program
    You could get some used brake discs for free at a garage somewhere, they are a pain to use, have a way too big inside diameter, but they are free and have some mass. Plus you can just toss them when done.
    They worked for me. The trick is to keep them pinned between two full sized plates.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast