starting strength gym

Thread: Pulling Programming

Default Pulling Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    All,

I'm reaching the end of LP for 1x5 on the deadlift. I pulled 190kg last week for 1x5, going up 2kg a week currently. I probably have 2-3 more weeks before I stall out. I recently added the power clean back after an injury, so that is still going up about 2kgs a week for 5x3.

I've seen a couple of different options for progression here, and I'm trying to figure out what to do first to keep my pull going up the fastest for the longest.

Option 1: Run it out by dropping down to 1x3, continuing to increase 2kg a week, then drop down to a 3x1 weekly before resetting and moving on to Option 2 below.

Option 2: Add in Rack Pulls and alternate with deadlifts weekly.

Option 3: Rotating Rep Ranges (1x5, 1x3, 1x1 3 week cycle for instance)

I think option 1 or 2 are the right way to go for now.

Thoughts?

I would think you could play with volume before needing to add rack pulls or rotate rep ranges. Couple back off sets? I think rotating rep ranges and rack pulls aren't typically used that early into intermediate training, but I could definitely be wrong. It's been a while since I've read the intermediate chapter of PP and someone else currently does my programming for me. I'm sure you'll get lots of better answers soon. *sheepishly backs out of thread*
    Last edited by Leanne M. Lloyd; 06-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.

I'd rotate rep ranges between 8s, 5s and 2s, plus two or three back off sets of an assistance exercise of choice (Paused DL, rack pulls, deficit DL, SLDL).