starting strength gym

Thread: Need help on squat programming

Default Need help on squat programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi All (first post here),

I started the Starting Strength program about a month ago. I'm very excited about the program as it forces me to tackle something I've always avoided, squats. I've always been athletic, but am definitely week for my size (6'2, 185 lbs). My previous focus was more endurance efforts as I would cycle and run long distances (50+ miles and 10+ miles).

I started the program at 45lbs for squats and used 10lb progressions up to 125lbs. I reduced squats to 95lbs, which I know is more than Mark recommends in the book for reducing back, but my form was suffering and I have prior knee issues (plus SS seems to have helped my knee pain and I didn't want to jeopardize the improvement) and implemented 5lb progressions. Today, I felt that 105lbs was again "tough." I realize the workouts will be tough and I enjoy pushing through barriers, but at the same time I feel that 105lb and moving forward will be hard to sustain progress. I know this seems insane, since it's such a light weight (by contrast I Dl'ed 205 today, yes, my squats are very weak), but I don't know what's best regarding long-term improvement and gains.

I'm attempting to attach a picture of my progressions to date from the Starting Strength app, but I'm not certain I'm doing it correctly.

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciate. Basically, I'm enjoying progress and want to ensure I can continue progressing without plateauing soon.

Please let me know if you have any questions and I apologize if this should have been posted somewhere else.

[IMG]IMG_5268.PNG[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Swyou22 View Post
    Hi All (first post here),

Today, I felt that 105lbs was again "tough." I realize the workouts will be tough and I enjoy pushing through barriers, but at the same time I feel that 105lb and moving forward will be hard to sustain progress. I know this seems insane, since it's such a light weight (by contrast I Dl'ed 205 today, yes, my squats are very weak), but I don't know what's best regarding long-term improvement and gains.
    A form check video is highly recommended if a 105 lb squat is 'heavy' at 185 lb body weight. Also, be aware that the bar 'feeling heavy' will be the normal outcome for pursuing linear progression programs.

How long have you been on the program now? Gain any weight yet? 6'2 at 185 is going to stall pretty early without a pretty hefty caloric surplus - you should probably be looking to put on at least a lb a week.

Also, post a form check in the Training or SS Coach forum, and read the stickies beforehand so you know how to set up the video.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

How old are you?

Form checks will be a good start. This is also worth your read:

The First Three Questions | Mark Rippetoe

In addition to form faults, I am guessing at least one of these is an issue.