starting strength gym

Thread: 4 Day Upper/Lower split advice

Default 4 Day Upper/Lower split advice

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey everybody,

I probably still have some novice gains left to make, but workouts on the program are starting to take close to 1h30m which is interfering with my work schedule. So, I'm thinking about switching to a 4-day U/L split as follows:

M: Heavy Press (1x5 top set with 2-3 back-off sets at 90%), Light Bench (3x5 at 85%)
    T: Heavy DL (1x5 top set with 2-3 back-off sets at 90%), Light Squat (3x5 at 80%), Lat pull downs working toward chins
    W: Prowler/conditioning
    Th: Heavy Bench (1x5 top set with 2-3 back-off sets at 90%), Light Press (3x5 at 90%)
    F: Heavy Squat (1x5 top set with 2-3 back-off sets at 90%), Light DL (2-3x5 at 80%), BB Rows

I'd start with the top sets for the heavy days at the next step up from my previously completed sets, so that would be (in lbs.):
    Press: 137.5
    DL: 345
    Bench: 220
    Squat: 300

Would this be too light on the volume at the top? Maybe tweak the percentages a bit? Any thoughts or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm not competent to design a program for you. But I did try a program once where I did heavy deadlifts and then squats afterwards.

Don't do that. Always do squats before deadlifts in a given session.

It really sucks to try to maintain good squat form with an exhausted low back. And it's dangerous, if you are all prone to back problems.

Hm, I've been doing light squats after deadlifts for a few weeks now on advanced novice progression, but with bench or press in between, and haven't had any problems since 80%~ isn't very taxing on me (yet, at least). I'll keep that in mind though.

I like doing

Bench light squat heavy
    Press heavy, light pull
    Squat light, press heavy
    Dead heavy, light bench.

Squatting and deadlifting same day is hard for me, but I am old.

That's an interesting way of organizing it and sounds like it would play nicer with doing more volume for the heavy lift each day. I probably should have mentioned my stats earlier:

H: 6'
    W: 285