starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to deload?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Leah Lutz View Post
    Yep, I think this is a good idea. This is early on in your LP and I would no suggest holding steady or stalling your progress unless you find out what's up with your technique.
    Yes -- your suggestion makes sense. Thanks -

I'll try and record the lifts at my next session -- esp. Squat and Press that I find the most difficult from a technical stand-point.

And I simply failed to maintain 79kg with decent form a couple days ago. I'll de-load the Squat to 75kg and re-start with 1kg increments (instead of 2.5kg).

Quote Originally Posted by Stan B View Post

I'll try and record the lifts at my next session -- esp. Squat and Press that I find the most difficult from a technical stand-point.

And I simply failed to maintain 79kg with decent form a couple days ago. I'll de-load the Squat to 75kg and re-start with 1kg increments (instead of 2.5kg).
    Don't forget to read the sticky on filming your lifts so you don't get scolded and end up feeling discouraged.

As asked earlier, age/weight/height? I don't think you should be microloading the squat. At 5 weeks you should have 15 workouts - your squat has gone up 24kg, that's 1.6kg/workout. You should have been at a weight to start where you could bump by 5kg for your first few/several sessions, before backing off to 2.5kg jumps.

Thank you all for the replies and advice.

To recap and add some more details:
    + Male, 41-yr old, a bit over 78 kg now (172 lbs), 182 cm (just shy of 6 feet?)

+ Started strength training in March with very low weights in order to focus on technique / form (let's call this Phase 0)

+ Had to take a break in May, then started again late May (now is middle of Week 6) with the first session used to "calibrate" the initial weights (as in The Book). Let's call this Phase 1.

+ I do *not* follow The Program. Professional schedule means I go to the gym only twice a week. Squat, Press, DeadLift // Squat Bench Press, Chin Ups alternating.
    ===>>> This explains the slower-than-usual progress. I'm fine with slow if I can keep steady / long-term.

+ Started Phase 1 with
    -- Squat @60 kg / 132 lbs
    -- Bench @50 kg / 110 lbs
    -- OH Press @ 32.5kg / 71.5 lbs
    -- DL @80 kg / 176 lbs

+ Started to add 2.5 kgs / 5 lbs per session and 5 kg / 11 lbs for the Deadlift then started to lower the increment as the lifts became more difficult. Now thinking about going 2.5 kgs on DL and 1 kg on others. I'm fine with slow progress if I can keep steady / long-term. Typically 5 min rest between sets, sometimes 7 min.

+ Now
    -- Squat @79 kg / 174 lbs
    -- Bench @60 kg / 132 lbs
    -- OH Press @37kg / 81 lbs
    -- DL @100 kg / 220 lbs
    -- I gained 3 kgs / 6 lbs, very little extra fat it seems

+ Yesterday I did lighten the Squat a bit (75kg vs. 80 that I should have lifted) -- it felt "normally heavy" and I could finish without much exhaustion. Did try 80kg x2 after the 3 sets and it worked with OK form. I guess I could do 5x3

+ Also did 60 kg on the bench-press. It felt very heavy and the bar did slow quite a bit on the final reps. Spotter said he did not touch the bar / that I lifted it myself.

===>> I suspect there is a psychological component to my difficulties -- the beginning of the progression did not require that much effort / grit, so now I am running into "grunting territory" (for me at least), I fear the weights are simply too heavy.

===>> I will also ask my beloved wife to film the final set of the next session and post the video for a form check.

Thanks again.

===>> I suspect there is a psychological component to my difficulties -- the beginning of the progression did not require that much effort / grit, so now I am running into "grunting territory" (for me at least), I fear the weights are simply too heavy.
    Yeah this happens. I was scared of 200, then 225, then 275, then 315. Just remember, if you're DTP you are getting stronger by the beginning of each session. What took you to the breaking point last time won't this time.

Also keep the weight gain going, seems like your pace is pretty good (as I read it, about 1lb/week?).

Quote Originally Posted by cgeorg View Post
    Yeah this happens. I was scared of 200, then 225, then 275, then 315. Just remember, if you're DTP you are getting stronger by the beginning of each session. What took you to the breaking point last time won't this time.
    "It never gets easier, you just get stronger." -someone

Also: Kirk Karwoski - "From Cadet to Captain" | Starting Strength - YouTube

Stan: I'm similar weight, a little shorter and the same age.

My diet is horrible, I don't sleep enough, I work a physical job and I only do the lifts twice a week. I have never done any strength training previously.

You have a way to go to catch up to my (albeit unimpressive) lifts so there is definitely something going on with your numbers that wouldn't be as simple as "stalling".

Not trying to be a jerk by mentioning myself (when I DNDTFP and my results reflect that) but it should give you some perspective to find out why you are stuck at the moment because I think you are probably being harsh on yourself by thinking you need to deload etc at this time.

There is "something" that is stopping your progress, I'm not sure it's just the weight kicking your arse. You need to be honest in whether you are actually eating/resting/sleeping enough first, then get some form checks from the good folk here before even thinking about reducing increments or deloading.

Maybe what I have that you need to find is a dose of stubborness combined with a hearty bowl of "fuck you" when approaching the bar, despite my self inflicted limitations it seems to help for a bit longer after you think you're done.

Good luck man.
    Last edited by Phill; 07-14-2017 at 08:21 PM.

Good evening all --

I followed your advice to record the lifts and boy was I in for a surprise!

(Also posted on Squat Form check (noob))

Here are the videos of set #1 and #3 (after warm-up -- set #2 not recorded) of my latest training. I started 6 weeks ago, moving the Squat from 55kg to 76 kg today.

Your feedback is most welcome.

Set #1: Squat -- Form Check 1 - YouTube
    Set #3: Squat Form Check 3 - YouTube

My own analysis :
    + Arms position OK
    + Head position OK in general, but a bit unstable at time
    + Knees out
    +/- Back angle roughly OK, but too unstable
    +/- Going too deep / Ass-to-grass Squat?
    - I over-flex my lower back / I do not keep the back straight and fixed.

If my analysis is correct, how to I best control my lower back? Engage the abs more? Work more on the lumbar muscles? Other cues?
    (DL is at 102.5 kg / 225 lbs. I think I also over-flex on the DL as my lower back hurts -- I do not have videos but I will record it!).

Many, many thanks --

SB
    Last edited by Stan B; 07-15-2017 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Broken links

Quote Originally Posted by Phill View Post
    You have a way to go to catch up to my (albeit unimpressive) lifts so there is definitely something going on with your numbers that wouldn't be as simple as "stalling".
    [...]
    Good luck man.
    Thanks a lot for the encouragement Phill.
    I am not so much stalling as struggling to get the technique / form right so I do not hurt myself. The lifts do /feel/ very heavy but I clear them.

Unless I REALLY need to get my ass out of my butt and come to my senses, I think it is more a question of coaching / technique than it is about sleep, rest, etc.

starting strength coach development program
    Your knees aren't out hard enough--your right knee seems to cave in quite a bit--and you're dive-bombing your squats and going too deep. Your toes might be point out a little too much. Control your descent, stay tighter, cut your depth to just below parallel and keep your knees out a little harder. Staying tight and controlling your depth will also help you fix that lumbar flexion you're talking about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast