starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Time to deload?

Default Time to deload?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi there,

I started SS 5 weeks ago with excellent results (squat up from 55 kg to 79 kgs yesterday, for example).
    Each session feels like I am lifting the max I can -- always tough but doable (and done).

BUT --

For the past 2 or 3 sessions, I think I started developing bad form for the last 1-2 reps of the last 2 sets. For example, my back goes a bit too horizontal during the squat hip drive. The bar does not stay exactly horizontal during the press or bench press.

Should I de-load a bit and re-start a LP from a lower weight, while focusing on "perfect" form?
    OR stay at constant weight for 1 or 2 weeks and work on form?

I have already decided to reduce the weight increment between wrokouts -- from 2.5 kgs to 1kg.

Thanks --

I know. It does not answer the question.
    I already mentioned that I am reducing the incremental weight. I do rest enough. I do eat enough. I do sleep enough.

Age, height, weight?

Video of the lifts you're concerned about?

This is a coaching issue vice a programming issue, IMO. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. It will always feel "heavy," and if your form was perfect, it wasn't heavy enough, especially on a novice LP! Seek coaching, either in person, SSOC, or online form check for cues to focus on to counter your specific form faults.

I know very little, but a deload or reset at five weeks of novice sounds a bit premature?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Franklin View Post
    This is a coaching issue vice a programming issue, IMO. Don't let perfect be the enemy of good. It will always feel "heavy," and if your form was perfect, it wasn't heavy enough, especially on a novice LP! Seek coaching, either in person, SSOC, or online form check for cues to focus on to counter your specific form faults.
    Thanks --
    I'll trust that form is not that bad that I need to de-load. I might go as far as trusting the coaches at my local gym for a form check (one of whom tried to "spot" me from behind, and one whom I've seen teaching a high-bar, narrow-stance squat to a newbie...).

Quote Originally Posted by autumnal View Post
    I know very little, but a deload or reset at five weeks of novice sounds a bit premature?
    Yes ;o)
    Without de-loading, I could just stop the increase for 2 -4 sessions and just work on form / technique.
    As mentioned in another post, I will actually keep increasing the weight (though not as much as before) and make sure the form does not degenerate further.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan B View Post
    Thanks --
    I'll trust that form is not that bad that I need to de-load.
    Maybe you should trust more experienced eyes and post videos in the SS coaches or technique forums.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Maybe you should trust more experienced eyes and post videos in the SS coaches or technique forums.
    Yep, I think this is a good idea. This is early on in your LP and I would no suggest holding steady or stalling your progress unless you find out what's up with your technique.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast