starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lighter SS Program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    OK I understand. That could be my case as well.

I've postponed yesterday's training to today and the shoulder's been feeling better and better.

I'll be extra careful with the squat and press today.

Thanks for your input!

Alright I payed extra attention during the squat. That's probably what triggers the pain.

I felt it a little yesterday but I managed it much better. I'm not sure why the grip bothers my shoulder so much. It feels like I can't get the correct grip without it pulling on my tendon.

It sucks because I feel I can't get as tight as I want with the grip on the squat. Not sure how to deal with this issue.

How did you fix your grip to deal with the pain?

Quote Originally Posted by SSFanboi View Post
    Alright I payed extra attention during the squat. That's probably what triggers the pain.

I felt it a little yesterday but I managed it much better. I'm not sure why the grip bothers my shoulder so much. It feels like I can't get the correct grip without it pulling on my tendon.

It sucks because I feel I can't get as tight as I want with the grip on the squat. Not sure how to deal with this issue.

How did you fix your grip to deal with the pain?
    I've had many grip issues, and many partial fixes.
    * For a while I had the bar on my back off-center, requiring me to unconsciously pull down on the short side to hold it level. Easy fix, once recognized!
    * For a while I had the unconscious habit of pulling *down* hard on the bar with both hands when coming up from the bottom. Again, just had to notice and stop.

Many other people report good results from varying grip width, trying thumbs-around & bent wrists (possibly with wrist wraps), focusing more on keeping a "proud chest" i.e. thoracic extension, etc. Search the forums, this is a common topic with many answers, and you'll need to find your own.

I squat exclusively high-bar these days, after some old-guy shoulder problems that reduced my range-of-motion. I'm not a HB advocate mind you. I still think the SS guys are right that low-bar is better overall for most people.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Davies View Post
    I've had many grip issues, and many partial fixes.
    * For a while I had the bar on my back off-center, requiring me to unconsciously pull down on the short side to hold it level. Easy fix, once recognized!
    * For a while I had the unconscious habit of pulling *down* hard on the bar with both hands when coming up from the bottom. Again, just had to notice and stop.

OK, I see.

Many other people report good results from varying grip width, trying thumbs-around & bent wrists (possibly with wrist wraps), focusing more on keeping a "proud chest" i.e. thoracic extension, etc. Search the forums, this is a common topic with many answers, and you'll need to find your own.

Hmm OK, I heard that could be hard on the wrists though (probably why you mentioned the wrist wraps). In any case, I'll determine the correct solution to my problem. Thanks a lot for the tips+

I squat exclusively high-bar these days, after some old-guy shoulder problems that reduced my range-of-motion. I'm not a HB advocate mind you. I still think the SS guys are right that low-bar is better overall for most people.
    OK! Yeah, when you read the book you realize a lot of what SS advocate is supported by bio-mechanical explanations so I do believe they absolutely know what they're talking about (more so since they have Feigenbaum and Baraki as nutrition experts). That's what really got me on board.

Again, thanks for the input!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123