starting strength gym

Thread: Strength & Mass After 40 - Questions

Default Strength & Mass After 40 - Questions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First coach a word of thanks to you and Dr Sullivan, whom I saw speak earlier this year. Barbell Prescription is so helpful. I'm in my early 5Os, just been lifting a few years, read the book as soon as it came out and switched to HLM from continuous LP restarts. I have hit PRs in every lift and feel great!

Running out HLM now, and just purchased S&M over 40. Very excited to start it.

A few questions.

1. How would you modify the program to give bench and press equal treatment? I saw the note on bench focus in the program, but what about equal priority? Maybe add light bench (3x5) at the end of heavy press day, and move light/fast press (3x5) at the end of heavy bench day? Or after the heavy sets but before assistance work? Or do something else?

2. How would you prevent detraining on heavy singles? I found in HLM that although I am not very volume sensitive I am VERY intensity dependent. I needed just 1-2 low rep bench press sets at 95% of heavy day weights to continue progressing. Maybe add 1-2 heavy singles before or after the heavy sets when doing 5 and 3? Or don't overthink it, and just do the program?

Thanks!

2. You will not detrain singles if you do them every 3 weeks as the program states. You might overtrain your cns by going to 95% or above every week though

1. session 1 can be heavy press / light bench and session 2 can be heavy bench / light press. Easy.

Many thanks, as always!