starting strength gym

Thread: Heavy-Light Program from Barbell Prescription

Question Heavy-Light Program from Barbell Prescription

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a 53-year-old trainee, have been doing Starting Strength for almost two years, and have a question .

I don't understand why The Barbell Prescription recommends that intermediate lifters who choose a Heavy-Light program (Program 6B on page 264) bunch all of the most systemically challenging lifts on the heavy day -- heavy squats, bench, and deadlift. It seems to me a recipe for failure to progress on the deadlift, simply because the lifter will be burned out by that point in the Heavy day workout. The same issue applies to the High-Volume Rep Progression program on pp 230-231, which is also set up as a heavy-light, two-day-per-week program. When I was working with a Starting Strength Online Coach, he had me on a two-day-per-week program that had the heavy squats and benches on one day and the deadlifts on the other.

What am I missing? What is the advantage of bunching all of the most systemically demanding lifts on one day?

Also, on the Heavy-Light program (6B on p 264), am I right in understanding that the heavy-day components of 4 sets of 5 reps on the squat and bench can be accomplished with sets across or descending sets as appropriate?

Looking forward to advice.
    Last edited by ManofTaste; 07-08-2017 at 03:43 AM. Reason: Added age, training history

Thanks, mgilchrist. That makes sense. I will give it a shot.