starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "TEXAS METHOD, not recommended for Inter"

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    The only people i know of that made long term progress were Justin Lascek and that crew and I believe former poster and BJJ player Jared Dopp. I have never seen a log though so who knows.
    Not that this proves that TM is a good program for intermediates, but: Manveer's Log

Went up to 565/355/555 @240 BW. Not amazing, but it worked for my squat.
    Last edited by manveer; 07-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Honestly, if you're a good enough lifter, you can make gains on anything as a novice/early intermediate. I guarantee you I could do those silly 10x10 or 20 sets of 8-12 on four different exercise bodybuilding programs and get stronger than a lot of people on this board. However, anything would have worked better for me than most people on this board. That's genetics for you.

I know about I'm hear to protest to the contrary, but the same is true for Manveer who is 6'1", 240lbs+ and Eric who, by all accounts, is a pretty decent athlete. This board attracts really smart people, which is awesome, but it also attracts a lot of middle-aged people who have never done anything athletic in their entire life. Not exactly the best segment of the population for explosive gains. "Read the (fairly technically dense) book, DTFP, etc." actually tends to filter out quite a bit of the most physically gifted people. I'm actually kind of dumb-founded that I made it through the entire SS book at the age of 19. Probably a sign of mental illness, tbqh. No teenager should have the patience for that.

maveer it looks like it was working for bench early on at least.....I found that it actually did work for both press and bench the few times of done it but I was doing the 4 day split model

Tom spits the truth bombs all the time...listen to Tom hell even be like Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Actually, I did say that. I would never recommend Texas Method proper, as I call it. Ever. And what evidence to the contrary? Is there some large cohort thriving on Texas Method hat has not been heavily modified?
    Is there a controlled study on any program anywhere with a sample size large enough to be meaningful that shows that that program is superior to any other program? It is impossible to prove any program is better than any other unless we get 10000 identical humans and run them through identical programs in identical environments. I really think programming is unique to every single person out there. All we know is stress creates a response and requires rest before re-stress. To create a rule for how much stress and how much recovery is really impossible to predict for anybody. SSLP is the best thing we have, but beyond that, nada. Everyone needs to figure it out on their own and stop paying for bullshit programs as though they were the secret to a bigger penis.

Uh....

The 3x5 in SSLP is based on nothing more than anecdotal experience. Why is it insufficient for HIGHLY experienced coaches to then say, anecdotally, on average, the Texas Method does not contain enough volume to be optimal for the average trainee?

Quote Originally Posted by pshotsb17 View Post
    Is there a controlled study on any program anywhere with a sample size large enough to be meaningful that shows that that program is superior to any other program? It is impossible to prove any program is better than any other unless we get 10000 identical humans and run them through identical programs in identical environments. I really think programming is unique to every single person out there. All we know is stress creates a response and requires rest before re-stress. To create a rule for how much stress and how much recovery is really impossible to predict for anybody. SSLP is the best thing we have, but beyond that, nada. Everyone needs to figure it out on their own and stop paying for bullshit programs as though they were the secret to a bigger penis.
    R U 4real dawg?

Quote Originally Posted by mgilchrest View Post
    Not surprised it's working okay for squats. TM volume is okay there.

Pulls generally need more volume than the template in PPST3e.

If you're alternating focus between OHP and BP week-to-week, you're going to stall. TM sucks for upper body volume.

Do you think that most of the SS intermediate models lack sufficient pulling volume? The TM Pulling volume, for example, is about the same as HLM with dead's never programmed for more than 1x5 work sets and supplemented with Power Cleans, Snatches and SLDL variants.

As time goes by, I increasingly find myself wondering if I shouldn't be doing more 3x3 type DL volume as opposed to the single top set model.

My own experience with TM last summer led to Pring the shit out of my squat, making a modest jump on bench while my DL didn't budge. I did however have a nice little 20lb PR fail a couple inches off the floor. If I ever run it again I'm adding DL volume to volume day, cleans on recovery day, and keep heavy singles on intensity day.

starting strength coach development program
    The garage gym warrior program has the medium day deadlifts with a good amount of volume. When I did TM I was doing back offs with SLDLs and it seemed to work(intensity day). Deadlifts are very fucking stressful so be careful with overall volume. Yeah I made that mistake before and it went backwards. If you look at the newer book(Barbell prescription)it even has a back off set of deadlifts in some of the programs but that's assuming you are older and weaker so it can be handled. I think deadlift volume is extremely individual though.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast