starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "TEXAS METHOD, not recommended for Inter"

Default "TEXAS METHOD, not recommended for Inter"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good Morning Andy,
    Yesterday I was able to catch a live stream of Jordan Feigenbaum where he told someone he does not recommend the Texas method for someone coming off the SSLP. I asked him why and he said the volume isn't correct but didn't go into more detail, as he was answering a ton of questions.
    Later on this same day, Austin Baraki went on Live stream, I took the chance to ask him what his thoughts were about the Texas method for someone at the end of the SSLP, and he too said that he did not recommend that program after LP. He said the same volume issue( didn't say if it was too much or not enough though) and also told me i need a coach after LP. I hope to get one in the next 3 weeks.

I'm very confused because after reading the PP book I took away that I should transition to Texas method after my 2nd reset. I even came on here and asked about a reset before Texas and Andy recommended a 20% when changing programs since i was so burnt out.

I hit 335x3x5 as my last set while doing heavy/light/heavy, MWF. Then when went to working up to a single set of MAX fahves on monday, light Wed, MAX 1x5 again on friday till i failed that, I got up to 355x1x5

Thats when I dropped 20% (as Rx) of my 1x5 and started back up with:
    Monday: 5x5x285
    Wednesday:2x5 light @ 65%
    Friday: 1x5x315

This has been working well and this past week I've hit 315x5x5 and my Friday 355x1x5. I deadlift Mondays after squat for a 1x5 and alternate OHP and bench for 5x5 on volume day and 1x2 or 1x3 on Intensity day.

Is this type of program correct for me? I was in a slump during yesterdays training thinking I'm doing something I shouldn't or isn't best suited for me. I'm a 32 YO MALE/5'10/220#/ eat 4500 cals sleep 7-8 hours a nights and 100% committed to this training.

Thank you so much for your time and help!
    Last edited by Ultarnr75; 07-10-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Sometimes I wonder if people say such things, in light of the significant evidence to the contrary from other coaches and trainees, in order to sell their own programs or services. Color me skeptical. I guess there'd be nothing wrong with that.

That being said, I'm sure Dr.s Feigenbaum and Baraki did not flatly say such things and there must be caveats, such as age of the trainee, recovery capacity, athletic career/intentions, etc.. In the same way that PPST3 does not say, flatly, that "you should transition to TM after two resets." (PPST3's recommendations are actually a little more nuanced and detailed, and include such thing as age of the trainee, recovery capacity, activities outside the gym, etc.)
    Last edited by Satch12879; 07-10-2017 at 07:35 AM.

The jist is that your adaption to lifting and stimulus needs are changing faster than your knowledge and experience is at at this stage. Going from just doing the program on LP ( progress the weight, grind it out)to Texas method with the same mentality will not work. Unfortunately many waste a lot of time learning, while getting some program guidance at this stage will help educate the lifter and keep progress going as they transition.
    Last edited by Bryan Dobson; 07-10-2017 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    in light of the significant evidence to the contrary from other coaches and trainees, in order to sell their own programs or services.
    What significant evidence, Brah?

[note: none of my TM bashing has brought me financial gain]

You address your question to Andy. Have you seen his video on TM vs HLM?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6sx_PuCNw

Quote Originally Posted by VikingCellist View Post
    You address your question to Andy. Have you seen his video on TM vs HLM?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mP6sx_PuCNw
    Thank you so much. Ill check this out after work.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if people say such things, in light of the significant evidence to the contrary from other coaches and trainees, in order to sell their own programs or services. Color me skeptical. I guess there'd be nothing wrong with that.

That being said, I'm sure Dr.s Feigenbaum and Baraki did not flatly say such things and there must be caveats, such as age of the trainee, recovery capacity, athletic career/intentions, etc.. In the same way that PPST3 does not say, flatly, that "you should transition to TM after two resets." (PPST3's recommendations are actually a little more nuanced and detailed, and include such thing as age of the trainee, recovery capacity, activities outside the gym, etc.)
    Actually, I did say that. I would never recommend Texas Method proper, as I call it. Ever. And what evidence to the contrary? Is there some large cohort thriving on Texas Method hat has not been heavily modified?

I have no long term evidence that the Texas Method works in fact long term. I am a completely outside observer/trainee such as yourself. The short times I have done it over the years I have in fact increased my lifts on well all of the lifts each time. I play other sports and have other goals so my programming gets shuffled around a bit when something else comes up. my 2 cents

starting strength coach development program
    The only people i know of that made long term progress were Justin Lascek and that crew and I believe former poster and BJJ player Jared Dopp. I have never seen a log though so who knows.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast