starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Article: Building a Bigger Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Nice read!

a HLM cycle focused on Press might look like this?

Heavy
    Press: 5x5 to 1x5 etc (possibly introduce some backoff volume following low volume sets towards the end of the cycle)

Light
    Bench press: 1x2-4, backoff 3x5
    (Possibly some of these CGBP?)

Medium
    Press: 3x5 10% reduction of Monday

Quote Originally Posted by Marenghi View Post
    Thanks for the article!

As 75% is a 10RM, 6 reps are slightly submaximal for 4 sets. Do you prefer training with submaximal weights (but maybe as compensation max speed?) in the press/in the basic barbell lifts?
    Depends on the lift and the lifter. For plenty.....75% is not a 10RM. These are estimates. %'s are never a tool of exact precision.

Quote Originally Posted by poser View Post
    a HLM cycle focused on Press might look like this?

Heavy
    Press: 5x5 to 1x5 etc (possibly introduce some backoff volume following low volume sets towards the end of the cycle)

Light
    Bench press: 1x2-4, backoff 3x5
    (Possibly some of these CGBP?)

Medium
    Press: 3x5 10% reduction of Monday
    Basically yeah. Devil is in the details of vol/int. And probably 5% on Fri not 10%

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Basically yeah. Devil is in the details of vol/int. And probably 5% on Fri not 10%
    Cool. I think I'll start a OH Press focused HLM cycle next month. I've made good progress on my bench press recently so I'd like to get the OH press up to 200#

I'd love it if someone can point me to more data or another hypothesis, but I went ahead and munged the SS lifter rankings linked from the training thread here to try to test whether there was evidence that good pressers were pressing a higher % of bench than poor pressers. It seems like that would have to be the case, but now I'm not so sure. If anything, it looks like good pressers converge on about a 2/3 ratio, and there might not be much variation from that for anyone with even a wee bit of press training:

Last edited by Itchysoles; 07-26-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: image links were broken

Quote Originally Posted by Itchysoles View Post
    If anything, it looks like good pressers converge on about a 2/3 ratio, and there might not be much variation from that for anyone with even a wee bit of press training:
    I have a crappy bench and crappy press. Last Friday I did 165x6 on the bench. After reading your post I was curious so I multiplied that by 0.667 and got 110. 110x6 was exactly what I used for the press last Sunday. So the 2/3 ratio you state seems to hold even for those of us with crappy upper body lifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Culican View Post
    I have a crappy bench and crappy press. Last Friday I did 165x6 on the bench. After reading your post I was curious so I multiplied that by 0.667 and got 110. 110x6 was exactly what I used for the press last Sunday. So the 2/3 ratio you state seems to hold even for those of us with crappy upper body lifts.
    I benched Press 242.5# for 3x3 today. My OH Press 3x3 is 160#, within 2# of the 2/3 ratio. So, if you desire the 225# OH Press, you'll need a 335# bench press. It's that simple

You'd need more than a few examples to prove some kind of iron-clad link but it's a decent ballpark figure for reference

starting strength coach development program
    Yep, not saying around 5-10% deviation from that is uncommon; stdD was about 7%, I believe. What would be interesting to me would be seeing some competitions with both press and bench so that we could see what happens when a larger group gets serious about both. Could look for USSF lifters who powerlift somewhat seriously as well, but I don't think we have enough data yet from that see spot any trends beyond the "ballpark".

Any application to training the press? Maybe just if your ratio below about 60% you'd benefit from training press more often; if ratio above above 74%, probably benching a little more would help your press?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast