starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Article: Building a Bigger Press

Great article. I'm going to implement some of these the next time I go after a big press...have other goal right now.

I found this part is so true, on quite a few different levels.
    .For starters, there just aren’t a lot of guys with big overhead presses. It seems like nowadays 500-600 lb Deadlifts are a dime-a-dozen, but you still don’t walk into most commercial gyms and see anyone repping out 225 overhead on a strict overhead press
    Rarely see ... anywhere

Andy, hopefully you're not too tired of my questions. I find your writing on programming really applicable for where I am at right now! Thanks!

If an early intermediate on TM cares about press, should they press 2x week and do bench 1x week rather than switching every other session? And in that case would it make sense to maybe rotate between incline and flat for the once a week benching? Would it make any sense to press every volume day, bench every light day (at maybe 75% of 5RM), and then press again on intensity day?

I'm still on SS LP, last 5 x 3 sets for press at 180# and bench at 295#.

Yeah, if you want to focus on Press on TM then Press on Mon/Fri and Bench on Weds. However, if you are gonna bench 1x/week every week it needs to be heavy. So a slight deviation from the "light day" model, but it's okay. Maybe one top set of 2-4 reps and then back off with 3x5. You can introduce Inclines later. At first the change in the set/rep scheme will be enough of a change in training variables to keep things going.

I like that prescription. I guess pressing 2x a week might take enough tonnage off that benching heavy once on light day will work.

I guess I'll hold off on introducing upside-down one-arm incline smith machine pressing for a while.

Another good read Andy thanks.

pancakes and sausage!

Andy, would you adjust volume down and intensity up for an older lifter like me? I'm 54.

I know a recurrent theme in The Barbell Prescription is that older lifters are volume sensitive and intensity dependent. I'm good with pressing singles across one day, but I wonder about adjusting volume and intensity on the other pressing day.

As always, thanks for freely sharing your coaching and training experience. This article was timely because they just announced the USSF SS Fall Classic, which I entered.

And, yeah...pancakes and sausage, or McDonald's French fries! Who knew?

Just start with a baseline somewhere and see what happens. Watch my volume cycling video on YouTube and see how I fluctuate volume/intensity on high volume days. Do this in conjunction with your intensity workouts on Friday

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the article!
    To me “strength volume” is work done in the 75-85% of 1RM range, generally with a rep range between 3 and 6 and a set count usually between 4 and 6
    As 75% is a 10RM, 6 reps are slightly submaximal for 4 sets. Do you prefer training with submaximal weights (but maybe as compensation max speed?) in the press/in the basic barbell lifts?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast