starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reset First or Switch to Heavy/Light/Heavy First

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Being 180 and 5'9 is pretty light, you may want to up your calories some and see how some extra pounds on the frame would feel. 325 is a good weight to be hitting 3x5, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by Lex_Anderson View Post
    Being 180 and 5'9 is pretty light, you may want to up your calories some and see how some extra pounds on the frame would feel. 325 is a good weight to be hitting 3x5, nice work!
    Thank ya. Up to 335 now. And yeah my weight stalled/slowed down at 4,000 cals so I upped it to 4,200. After a week at 4,200 it still hasn't budged. My goal is to at least get to 190, not seeing me heavier than 200 at the moment but who knows. Should I still be gaining weight o a weekly basis or should I be measuring every other week?
    (I'm male, 23)

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Thank ya. Up to 335 now. And yeah my weight stalled/slowed down at 4,000 cals so I upped it to 4,200. After a week at 4,200 it still hasn't budged. My goal is to at least get to 190, not seeing me heavier than 200 at the moment but who knows. Should I still be gaining weight o a weekly basis or should I be measuring every other week?
    (I'm male, 23)
    If you really want to get an accurate measurement of bodyweight changes you should weigh yourself every day (first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom) and take a weekly average. Compare week to week to see what's really going on. Body weight fluctuates so much day to day that measuring once a week isn't a very reliable indicator of how things are going. Over time it will show the trend but it's not going to help much in figuring out whether a 200 calorie adjustment made the difference you were looking for over the course of a week.

Sorry brah that's what I meant, I'm measuring on a weekly basis but it's an average over 7 days. Seems to be averaging around 181, which is a pound over 180 but that's also only 1 pound in roughly 2 weeks. Just not sure what my expectations should be for where I am. The question "Well how strong do you want to be?" maybe applies here. I could eat 5,000 calories and for sure gain weight, but I'm looking to gain mainly muscle and put on as little fat as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Sorry brah that's what I meant, I'm measuring on a weekly basis but it's an average over 7 days. Seems to be averaging around 181, which is a pound over 180 but that's also only 1 pound in roughly 2 weeks. Just not sure what my expectations should be for where I am. The question "Well how strong do you want to be?" maybe applies here. I could eat 5,000 calories and for sure gain weight, but I'm looking to gain mainly muscle and put on as little fat as I can.
    If you're ok taking it slow and staying as lean as possible then you can just keep doing what you're doing. If you could gain 10 lbs in 20 weeks without getting fat that would be pretty good right? But take what I say with a grain of salt since I have no experience with your current situation, being a fatty.

starting strength coach development program
    Honestly weighing yourself as much as you need/want is up to you. The way I look at weight is like this, am I currently advancing or progressing at this current body weight? If I am then I really don't change anything, but if I'm not then I start looking at what I'm eating, am I eating enough, have I lost weight, have I been missing meals? I'm 5'7 and 200lbs and the best I got up to was 320x3x5 before having to change my routine after my son was born.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12