starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reset First or Switch to Heavy/Light/Heavy First

Default Reset First or Switch to Heavy/Light/Heavy First

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    My last squat workout was 325x5x3, and the very last rep basically stopped for half a second bc it was such a grinder. I'm 5'9" @180, been doing the program for a few months. PPST is a bit ambiguous on this point, or it might be the case that my reading skills are preventing me from uncovering the answer.

Am I required to miss a lift before I change up my programming or is it more intelligent to "stay ahead" of a miss with intelligent programming? If the latter, what would be the most intelligent programming: resetting or incorporating heavy/light/heavy. In the sample novice program given in PPST it looks like the latter is performed.

I'd keep going till you miss a rep. If you've never missed, your perception of your ability level will be off. Even when you miss, it's quite possible you had more in you.
    I missed 330 on the last rep, my coach basically told me I gave up too easily because I wasn't used to really heavy weights. I nailed 335 the next workout.
    Basically, what feels like a max effort is probably not. Take some video of your squat, and compare it to Austin Baraki's 600 squat/650 deadlift video to see what I'm talking about.

What's your weight/height?

Or, rather, what was it during the time you missed that rep

It's better to not miss a rep and keep progressing at a slower pace than to reset. Switch to the advanced novice template where you have light squats on Wednesday. If the heavy squat workout you described was yesterday (Wednesday) and you're doubtful about getting your reps for tomorrow (Friday) then you could do a light day on Friday and then start the normal advanced novice schedule with a heavy day on Monday.

Missing a rep isn't the end of the world but better to do it via racking early not failing.

Biggest reason to do a reset over HLH advanced novice would be if you have form problems to work on. Otherwise just do the adv novice.

If it's the last rep/set that's the big problem, transitioning to 1x5+2x5 back offs at say -20 lb is a good idea if you move to adv novice. This actually might be a good option to go with for your upcoming workout if you're still a little gassed. i.e.

Fri 330,310,310 x5
    Mon 335, 315, 315 x5
    Wed 270 3x5
    Fri 340, 320, 320 x5
    and so on....

A mixed bag of responses. The "hard" workout was Monday, and I posted this late Wednesday night, so I didn't get all of the responses in before my workout.

I went with the HLH. Another thing biasing that decision was the fact that I just had my toe nail cut out bc it was ingrown. So, toe wasn't feeling so good and didn't want to attempt any PR's on it. But, I think the back off sets would have been a better idea than HLH.

I may post this on coaches forum.

Thanks for the input.

Not a coach by any means, but a light day on Wednesday is usually the first modification prescribed. It addresses the "recovery" portion of the stress - recovery - adaptation cycle.

Looking at it big picture from the stress-recovery-adaptation model:

Recovery related modifications:

- Light Day (HLH)
    - One day on, two days off (M, Th, Sun vs. M, W, F) (not usually schedule-friendly therefore less prescribed)

Adaptation related modifications:

- Reset (proven not adapted after 2-3 attempts at a given weight)

Stress related modifications:

- Top set of 5 with back-offs
    - 3x3

Which modification to programming you make depends on what needs to be addressed, and all are interrelated.

"Didn't want to attempt any PR's on my slightly injured toe."
    Reads the Lee Moran article. Facepalms until unconscious.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    "Didn't want to attempt any PR's on my slightly injured toe."
    Reads the Lee Moran article. Facepalms until unconscious.
    LOL

I'm not saying anything by dropping this little nugget but a few months ago I destroyed my big toenail with my front door. Almost ripped the nail off, eventually it DID fall off and lately it hurts like hell. Probably not growing back right. Does it need surgery? Maybe? I'm too cheap to go to a doctor. Hasn't stopped me yet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast