starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Video: 4-Day Heavy / Light Programming

Default New Video: 4-Day Heavy / Light Programming

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024

Andy, your youtube channel is golden! I truly value all the training knowledge you provide for all lifters and wannabes like myself. And your articles too.

Video suggestion for future: when training only 2 days/week, how to set things up (volume&intensity) to get most out of it?

A "two day per week" video is a good idea.

Another great video, very clear and informative. I appreciate you covering the different variations too. Two questions if I may:

What are your thoughts on progression? Five pounds weekly for lower, half that for upper or is that too conservative?

Also what are your thoughts on using variation A but using the light day work as a lead into some isotonic work on that lift? Seems like a good way to set the groove for it.

Never messed with isotonic stuff so I wouldn't know how it affects the body. As an intermediate 5 lbs per week would be great progress. Definitely not too conservative.

I highly recommend isotonics as explained by Coach Starr. I found them to be very productive back in the day but they take a lot of grit to really push them. With all your experience im sure you could put them to great use. A nice toy to have in the tool box imo. Might have to heed my own advice...

Great video. I have one question about the definition of heavy intensity work - how many total reps do you typically use when doing 1s, 2s and 3s respectively?

Quote Originally Posted by ErikJ View Post
    Great video. I have one question about the definition of heavy intensity work - how many total reps do you typically use when doing 1s, 2s and 3s respectively?
    Good question....if you are using a % based program then usually if we are at about 90% of 1RM then it'll be something between like 6-9 total reps. So that is often like 3-5 doubles, 2-3 triples, or like 6 singles across for the squat or even up to 8-10 singles across on the Press. If you are doing a lot of back of volume between 75-85% of 1RM then it might be less, like just one max effort set between 2-4 reps.

At loads around 95% I'm usually looking at between 2-4 total reps. So maybe 1-2x2, or 3-4 singles across.

Again, it depends on how the rest of the program is structured and how much other work you are doing on that lift at other points during the week or during that workout.

Andy, Good video, I found it to be concise and informative.

You gave a few examples of 4 day programs. The first was Heavy/Light, and the second you said was actually Heavy/Heavy. You said the H/H program works well but not for long periods.

Would it be wise to mix the two programs by doing one lift H/H for a few weeks, while keeping the others H/L, and rotating the lifts through? Or would it be better to do all the lifts H/H for a while, then all H/L to recover, then do all H/H again?

starting strength coach development program
    You'd just have to adjust for each lift. If you needed to back off the gas pedal a bit for your squats for instance, then do so. But if Press/Bench are still moving nicely no need to make changes to those lifts just because squats need tweaking. You can keep the same basic template for all your lifts, but not everything gets programmed 100% the same across the board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast