starting strength gym

Thread: Adding DE DL to 4 Day TM

Default Adding DE DL to 4 Day TM

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey coach Baker.
    So I have been running the 4 Day TM going on 12 weeks now and it's working out great. My intensity weights are still moving at 5 lbs per week and I am winding down to the "Running it Out" portion with 2x3s, 3x2s and 5x1. I have a good idea of how I going to continue my progression for Bench, Squat and OHP.

But, as PPST3 says, I am feeling a stall coming for deadlifts on Fridays. I'm down to 1 heavy single and it is brutal at 425. From the book, if a stall is coming, I am not getting enough volume to facilitate enough stress to cause an adaptation. Deadlift has been going up 5 lbs per week but I know I'm not getting enough volume from one single.

I am wanting to add a volume pull to my Tuesday volume squat day in substiting PCs for DE Deadlifts (15x1 @ ~ 70% with 1 min rests). At the same time I was thinking about a reset for DL and cycling intensity Day reps to 5/3/1.

The answers for "The first three questions" are:

1) Resting 8-10 min between sets.
    2) 5 lb increments
    3) I hate eating now (3800 cal)

My stats are
    30/m
    235 lbs
    385 squat (3x2)
    340 bench (5x1)
    210 OHP (2x3)
    425 DL (single)

I appreciate you reading this. I also just stumbled upon your YouTube channel a few weeks ago and the whiteboard sessions are awesome! I used your warm up setup this week and it went pretty well. Thanks again!

Yeah, pulling just one single isn't gonna work for long. Too neural and not nearly enough volume. A cycle of 5s, 3s, and 1s (not necessarily Wendlers program, but just a cycle of using 5s, 3s, and 1s) on ID with some volume pulling on Tuesday is fine. You can do the speed singles or just like 3x5 @ 70-75%.

Great. Thanks for the confirmation. Your 4 day setup is awesome for all the lifts except DL. I love the variability with the whole program though. Thanks again!

One more quick question on this, as I write out my plan for this week. Is the 70-75% for my DE/ Volume consistent for the three week 5/3/1 rep cycle? Or would that percentage be based on the intensity load for the given week? This is my first time rotating a rep scheme.

I like speed work in 3-week waves as is typically recommended. Starting with maybe 70% for maybe 12x1, 72.5% for 10x1, and 75% for 8x1. Then start it over with a bit more weight or pull the same loads faster

Okay excellent. So whatever my intensity work weight is for Friday (5,3 or 1). My 70-75% is based on the new 1 rm I would hit on the third week. And then the 3 week cycle would increase as the 1 rep would. Sounds good.

Yes, if you can pull a new PR for a heavy single every 3rd week then you could recalibrate your %. I'd also note too that the % doesn't have to be EXACT. The object here is speed. Adjust the load if needed to strike that optimal balance between weight / speed. Find your "baseball" weight. A wiffle ball can't be thrown with a lot of force and neither can a bowling ball.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Yes, if you can pull a new PR for a heavy single every 3rd week then you could recalibrate your %. I'd also note too that the % doesn't have to be EXACT. The object here is speed. Adjust the load if needed to strike that optimal balance between weight / speed. Find your "baseball" weight. A wiffle ball can't be thrown with a lot of force and neither can a bowling ball.
    That analogy really put it into perspective. That definitely needs to be thrown into PPST4, along with the rest of these little tidbits for adding DL volume in for TM.

Thanks again!