starting strength gym

Thread: Power building & deadlifts

Default Power building & deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Andy,

I've been on your KSM Power building program for several months and have loved every minute of it. Today I was going for 3 doubles of 415 on deadlift but failed miserably on the last set. The plates barely got off the deck. I had no issues with the 8's (335) and the 5's (375) but 415 felt VERY heavy. I feel like I could benefit from running a LP of deadlifts where I'd progress to 425 1x5 which is where I was 6 months ago. I'd like to get more separation between my squats and DL's. Any thoughts?

I'm 39 and weigh 245. Here are my current 5's:

Squat- 335
    Bench- 250
    Dead- 375
    Press- 145

You can't just "run an LP" whenever you need to get a lift up. We set up rotations and the like because we can't run LPs any more. If you got 2x2 and not the 3rd set, that is fine. Go back next week - PR your 8s, PR your 5s, come back to 415 and aim for 3x2 again. I discussed in the book what to do when you have a miss at a given rep range. Keep pushing the other two rep ranges! It's a great system and works well. But you are still gonna have misses in there. Especially on the very heavy deads.

Understood. I just felt like I should have a bit more separation between my squat and deadlift. 415 should not have felt that heavy so I guess I just panicked. Everyone knows that the first time you fail on a prescribed lift you immediately change programs. It's science...

Anyway, I'll stay the course! Thanks for keeping me on track.

Mike