starting strength gym

Thread: Interm. Squat / Novice on Everything Else

Default Interm. Squat / Novice on Everything Else

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Andy,

I'm envisioning my squat stalling on LP pretty soon, possibly in the next few weeks, but I don't like making predictions that could turn into self-fulfilling prophecies. Meanwhile, my other lifts are running pretty smoothly, especially my deadlift which I was forced to stop doing for a while (not injury related).
    ------
    Lifts:
    Squat: 330x5x3
    Deadlift: 325x5 (going up in 10's smoothly; alt. with PC's)
    Bench: 212.5x5x3
    Press: 137.5x5x3

Bodyweight: ~183
    ------

So, let's say it does stall before everything else and I need to switch over to intermediate programming only for it. I want to go with some sort of HLM, both for the squat and long term whenever my other lifts catch up--unless you'd recommend against going HLM at least until the other lifts catch up.

How could that be scheduled? Could I keep doing everything the same just put my squat on Tuesday (heavy) and Friday (light)?

I'm not Andy, but you're right in that it's a bad idea to try and predict which lift will stall first. Who knows, your bench could be going fine now and it could hit a hard wall next week while your squat continues to go up for another 3-4 weeks.

If your squat does stall and you want to switch squat programming to HLM, go ahead, and keep the same schedule for everything else, assuming you're doing a 3x/week LP on the other lifts.

Also, how tall are you? 183 pounds could be just right if you're like 5'6", but severely underweight for strength if you're 6'3".

Oops, posted this in the wrong thread. Thanks for the input though. My height is 5'9". My weight recently stalled @4,000 cals so I put it up to 4,200 and it's back going again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlk93 View Post
    Oops, posted this in the wrong thread. Thanks for the input though. My height is 5'9". My weight recently stalled @4,000 cals so I put it up to 4,200 and it's back going again.
    Yeah, others may disagree with me here, but I think if your bodyweight is going up 1-1.5lbs per week you'll be fine. You don't want to go overboard and gain 25 pounds in 3 months. If you weighed 145, it'd be a different story. I went from 222lbs to 240lbs during my LP and I put on a tad more fat than I wanted, but the biggest effect it had on me was my steep decline in conditioning.

It wasn't going up 1-1.5 pounds a week. That's what "stalled" means. At 183 and and still visible abs I think I'll be fine.

It wasn't going up 1-1.5 pounds a week. That's what "stalled" means.
    Derp. You were talking about your lifts, not your bodyweight.

At 183 and and still visible abs I think I'll be fine.
    LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Derp. You were talking about your lifts, not your bodyweight.
    Derp. "My weight recently STALLED @4,000 cals so I put it up to 4,200 and it's back going again."

Derp. "My weight recently STALLED @4,000 cals so I put it up to 4,200 and it's back going again."
    You didn't mention that in your original post. Get a clue.

It was in the comment that you responded to?!

starting strength coach development program
    There seems to be a pattern with you misunderstanding me.