starting strength gym

Thread: Andy what are your thoughts on belts?

Default Andy what are your thoughts on belts?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I love using my lifting belt (Best Belts) but it does make the squat a lot easier (huge bounce out of the bottom). I can't help but wonder if the naysayers are right that a belt causes your core to lag behind. Do you believe that belted training also increases your beltless strength? Obviously no one can lift as much beltless as they can belted but does beltless strength grow as the belted strength provides that otherwise impossible overload? I know Rip is pro-belt but I still feel guilty at times.

I believe all top end work sets should be done as heavy as possible with a belt. And yes, I believe that doing heavy belted work increases your "non-belted" strength.

I usually do all my Squat warm ups up to 405 without a belt. From 455 on up I wear a belt for warm ups or work sets.

I start wearing the belt loosely at 225 and tighten it one notch more after that. I also agree that the belt does not weaken the abs. The "raw nazis" will regret it when they attempt a hevay squat one day and something goes wrong.

Not always useful to point to elite athletes as case in point examples, but I'll do it anyways here because I believe it applies. If you have watched a lot of Dan Green videos you'll notice he does a lot of belt-less squat work as back off: Dan Green -- Beltless Squats 635x10 - YouTube (635x10)

Now do we think he achieved the ability to do a belt-less squat of 635 x 10 because he trains without belt? OR...can he do this because he can do this with a belt: Dan Green (220) Squat 837x2 - YouTube (837x2)

Now, don't we all feel like a bunch of pussies