starting strength gym

Thread: KSC Powerbuilding - Weighted Chins?

Default KSC Powerbuilding - Weighted Chins?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Andy, I purchased your KSC Powerbuilding program and I'm planning on giving it a go in about six weeks when I finish my current program. I'm just curious why there is no "heavy" movement for upper back using the 8-5-2 rotation. Would you advise against trying this with weighted chins or pullups? If so why? Maybe because it's too easy to cheat the movement with reduced ROM when it gets heavy? or...?

Weighted Chins are perfect for the back day. Chins just don't "program" as reliably as the barbell exercises do so we don't really program them the same way.

Yeah that makes sense. I ran into this today when I had to drop the weight after only getting 4 reps instead of 5 on my first set due to BW fluctuation.

If you were going to use weighted chins with the powerbuilding template, how would you program them? I'm thinking maybe 3x5 for the weighted chins and alternate them each week with the BW density sets. Does that make sense or would you do it differently?

I usually just do a "rep goal". So I might say I have a goal of 50 total reps and I wanna do the first 20 with weight. So I throw on a weighted belt and do sets in the 3-6 rep range with weight until I accumulate about 20 reps and then I'll finish out with bodyweight until I hit 50. Then maybe the next session I'll do 50 total reps, but only do bodyweight. I don't keep meticulous records of every set. I kinda just pay attention to how much weight I can do for a solid set of 3-6 reps and how many reps I can get unbroken on my first set of unweighted chins/pull ups in a fresh state. It fluctuates from workout to workout and I don't stress over it.