starting strength gym

Thread: The reason why OHP is paired with Power Cleans in the standard progression?

Default The reason why OHP is paired with Power Cleans in the standard progression?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Greetings,

I'm about to add powercleans into my linear progression, (i almost have the wrist / shoulder mobility thing down) and have a question related to their programming. (I couldn't find a similar topic with a quick search, but my google-fu might just be weak)

Is there are reason why Power Cleans are paired with Overhead Press while Bench Press is paired with Deadlift in the standard program. I couldn't find a reason given in SS 2nd Edition. (although my book-fu might just be weak)

Is it simply to keep one day similar to a Powerlifting meet, a muscular synergy, or happenstance?

It's just a coincidence. OHP doesn't have to be paired with power cleans. Besides, if you're also doing chins, it will alternate. You will have deadlift, chins, and power cleans, and you'll be alternating press and bench press.

Also, you need to buy the 3rd Edition.

Of course some of us don't have a rack to press from and PC the first rep. But that's usually racked in the Press position so it's a bit of a bastard PC.