starting strength gym

Thread: HLM questions

Default HLM questions

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Andy,

First thanks for the free service and Youtube content - all helpful. After inefficient programming post-LP and finally reading PPST3, I'm starting HLM. Initial layout below.

Mon:
    Light squat 3 x 5
    Press 3 x 5
    Deadlift (heavy ) 1 x 5

Wed:
    Medium squat 3 x 5
    Paused bench 3 x 5
    PC 3 x 3

Fri (this day is so long/taxing because it's the only day I have this much time):
    Heavy squat 5 x 5
    Heavy bench 5 x 5
    Light deadlift (20% less than Mon.) 3 x 5
    Chins 3 x 10 (weight added after 10, 5 lb/week)
    Tri extensions 3 x TBD

QUESTIONS:
    * I am deadlifting twice per week because I have some form issues I'm working on. I'd like to work "standard" deadlift form twice per week for practice's sake. I'm also worried trying to do a SLDL Friday would lead to lumbar flexion (aforementioned form issues). Do you see this pulling plan working, and if not, do you have suggestions?
    * I chose paused bench as a medium press movement because inclines tend to bother me due to past shoulder trauma. Does this seem like a reasonable HLM pressing structure?

Thanks again.
    Scott

Yeah, I think this is an acceptable starting point. Progress / modify as you go based on what you observe

Thanks much for both reading my question and the speediness with which you answered. I'll get to it.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    Hi Andy,

First thanks for the free service and Youtube content - all helpful. After inefficient programming post-LP and finally reading PPST3, I'm starting HLM. Initial layout below.

Mon:
    Light squat 3 x 5
    Press 3 x 5
    Deadlift (heavy ) 1 x 5

Wed:
    Medium squat 3 x 5
    Paused bench 3 x 5
    PC 3 x 3

Fri (this day is so long/taxing because it's the only day I have this much time):
    Heavy squat 5 x 5
    Heavy bench 5 x 5
    Light deadlift (20% less than Mon.) 3 x 5
    Chins 3 x 10 (weight added after 10, 5 lb/week)
    Tri extensions 3 x TBD

QUESTIONS:
    * I am deadlifting twice per week because I have some form issues I'm working on. I'd like to work "standard" deadlift form twice per week for practice's sake. I'm also worried trying to do a SLDL Friday would lead to lumbar flexion (aforementioned form issues). Do you see this pulling plan working, and if not, do you have suggestions?
    * I chose paused bench as a medium press movement because inclines tend to bother me due to past shoulder trauma. Does this seem like a reasonable HLM pressing structure?

Thanks again.
    Scott
    Am I correct in observing that your method is laid out as;

Squat - Light-Medium-Heavy
    Press - Light-Medium-Heavy
    Pull - Heavy-Light-Medium
    ?

You do that to save time or is there a different reason?

Not all Heavy stuff must occur on Heavy Day. You can spread load the work out during the week, and for practical purposes in a personal training environment this is what I generally end up doing with clients. Saves time and allows focus on just one main thing each session

Quote Originally Posted by Giri View Post
    Am I correct in observing that your method is laid out as;

Squat - Light-Medium-Heavy
    Press - Light-Medium-Heavy
    Pull - Heavy-Light-Medium
    ?

You do that to save time or is there a different reason?
    It's a bit of both, Giri.

First, yeah, I work out during my wife's workday on Friday, giving me as much time as I want to lift - the other nights of the week, she appreciates it if I get home at a reasonable time

Secondarily, as I mentioned, I have some form issues on my deadlift I'm working with. I was afraid that pulling heavy after my heavy squat and press day would degrade my deadlift form further. As a side note, I also deloaded my pulls a bit for the first few weeks to give myself some "ramp up" time to work on form with loads that aren't at my full limits. Depending on how my first session goes this Monday, I may even make Monday pulls first to hit heavy deadlifts "fresher", since, again, there's a substantial amount of form cleanup going on while I increase the load. I'd prefer not to, though, since I'm sure that will impact my presses.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Not all Heavy stuff must occur on Heavy Day. You can spread load the work out during the week, and for practical purposes in a personal training environment this is what I generally end up doing with clients. Saves time and allows focus on just one main thing each session
    If I understood it correct, one can successfully do HLM as long as the sequence for is circular, i.e., HLM or LMH or MHL, each lift independent of the other two lifts?

Quote Originally Posted by nkupianist View Post
    It's a bit of both, Giri.

First, yeah, I work out during my wife's workday on Friday, giving me as much time as I want to lift - the other nights of the week, she appreciates it if I get home at a reasonable time

Secondarily, as I mentioned, I have some form issues on my deadlift I'm working with. I was afraid that pulling heavy after my heavy squat and press day would degrade my deadlift form further. As a side note, I also deloaded my pulls a bit for the first few weeks to give myself some "ramp up" time to work on form with loads that aren't at my full limits. Depending on how my first session goes this Monday, I may even make Monday pulls first to hit heavy deadlifts "fresher", since, again, there's a substantial amount of form cleanup going on while I increase the load. I'd prefer not to, though, since I'm sure that will impact my presses.
    Thanks for helping me understand

starting strength coach development program
    Basically yes.