starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone successfully evened out an arm size imbalance?

Default Has anyone successfully evened out an arm size imbalance?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, totally superficial, cosmetic inquiry, I admit. But still, it annoys me that my left arm is a full inch larger than my right (17.75" vs 16.75", cold/flexed). If there is a way to make my right arm catch up I would like to know. Lots of contradictory advice out there. Dumbbells vs barbells, equal vs unequal volume for each side, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually been successful at evening out their arm size. I kind of suspect it might just be a genetic thing that you're stuck with. I'd love to be wrong though. Anyone have luck with this? If so, how?

I spent 3 months last year doing extra sets 2x/week for my right bicep, since it's consistently been 3/4" smaller than my left arm. My unflexed measurement remained 3/4" smaller, though my flexed measurement improved to only being 1/2" smaller. IMO, wasn't worth the time and effort. Unless you're a professional bodybuilder, I wouldn't sweat it.

I wonder if right-handed fellows consistently have a smaller right arm, and if so, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    I wonder if right-handed fellows consistently have a smaller right arm, and if so, why?
    Right hand is relegated to operating the mouse? #startinglength

Ever notice the arm imbalance pro bowlers have?

I work in a tennis club. Lots of tennis players here have an oversized racket arm on one side as well. It's usually combined with an asymmetrical weight shift when they squat.

So what y'all are saying is, Tim needs to quit lifting and start bowling and playing tennis instead?

That's difficult. Although my arms are equal my left one looks "fuller" relaxed while my right bicep peaks higher when flexed - has different shape. What worked somehow, I stopped all isolated work (preacher curls - my right bicep gets crazy on these) , I do just chins/dips and I try to pull with mixed grip on my heavy dl set only, all the rest hook grip

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Yes, totally superficial, cosmetic inquiry, I admit. But still, it annoys me that my left arm is a full inch larger than my right (17.75" vs 16.75", cold/flexed). If there is a way to make my right arm catch up I would like to know. Lots of contradictory advice out there. Dumbbells vs barbells, equal vs unequal volume for each side, etc. I'm just wondering if anyone has actually been successful at evening out their arm size. I kind of suspect it might just be a genetic thing that you're stuck with. I'd love to be wrong though. Anyone have luck with this? If so, how?
    Out of interest - I know you have one leg noticeably longer than the other, is there a similar difference in thigh / calf girth between both sides? Can't remember if you've posted on that before?

If it's a "usage" thing then I'd suspect it would be much, much, MUCH easier to even out than a "genetic" imblance or one caused through, for example, nerve injury.

As someone who has been bowling consistently for ~12 years and is fairly decent, I would say the forearm difference is (relatively) greater than the bicep difference.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris McCarthy View Post
    Out of interest - I know you have one leg noticeably longer than the other, is there a similar difference in thigh / calf girth between both sides? Can't remember if you've posted on that before?
    So, I just measured and my right thigh is smaller but only by about 0.25". Calves and forearms are equal on both sides. Yet 1" difference in upper arms. Seems odd.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast