starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Linear Progression Stalling on Upper Body, Going fine with lower body?

Default Linear Progression Stalling on Upper Body, Going fine with lower body?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Since doing the Starting Strength Program from the beginning of June, log here, my lifts have progressed as follows:

June 17, 2017
    Squat: 225
    Bench: 205

June 19, 2017
    Press: 120
    Deadlift: 315

The lower body workout weights were backed off of previous efforts due to the increased volume of SS versus what I was doing previously. The upper body weights were not backed off as volume remained kinda the same.

July 19, 2017
    Deadlift: 335

July 24, 2017
    Press: 128

July 26, 2017
    Squat: 280
    Bench: 212

So since June 17 here is my progression:
    Squat: 225 - 280
    Deadlift: 315 - 330
    Press: 120 - 128
    Bench: 205 - 212

And that progression has been "easy" for the squats and deads. The bench and press have been a slow struggle. Repeating weights week to week and slow reps.

Any thoughts?

You could reset and work back up and make sure to use fractional plates, or do more volume on your bench and/or press. Check out the new e-book put out by Drs. Baraki and Feigenbaum. The Bridge | Barbell Medicine

Quick edit: you didn't ask about your lower body lifts, but if squats and deads felt like an easy progression, why so slow? Why only 15 pounds on the deadlift in over a month?
    Last edited by marcf; 07-27-2017 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    You could reset and work back up and make sure to use fractional plates, or do more volume on your bench and/or press. Check out the new e-book put out by Drs. Baraki and Feigenbaum. The Bridge | Barbell Medicine

Quick edit: you didn't ask about your lower body lifts, but if squats and deads felt like an easy progression, why so slow? Why only 15 pounds on the deadlift in over a month?
    Thank you for the article, I will check it out.

As for the slow deadlift progression I think I've only done them two-three times in the month because of the switch to once a week. I'd have to double check the log. Also, part of the reason for that is I had ten days off when I was on vacation in Maui. Maybe not the best period to use as an example but this has been the behaviour for me even with the previous workout mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Fosterions View Post
    Also, part of the reason for that is I had ten days off when I was on vacation in Maui.
    Not a bad excuse to take a break!

1 to 3 lbs per week on press and bench at those weights for a novice is not slow progress. That's normal progress. If you're having to reset it might be because you're trying to add more weight than that.

To me it simply looks like your squat was disproportionately weak to all the other basic lifts and it simply caught up to the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf
    use fractional plates, or do more volume on your bench and/or press
    I'd recommend doing both. In my experience upping no of sets to 4 on bench and press, sometimes sneaking out an extra rep beyond FAHVE (just make sure you can actually do it, no need to have failed reps) in 1 or 2 of those sets made a huge difference in my pressing progression.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Maybe I'm just bad at navigating Barbell Medicine , but how did you find out about that e-book? I vaguely remember Jordan saying he was working on programs beyond his general intermediate template, but never saw articles posted to his site.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Maybe I'm just bad at navigating Barbell Medicine , but how did you find out about that e-book? I vaguely remember Jordan saying he was working on programs beyond his general intermediate template, but never saw articles posted to his site.
    He posted about it on instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    He posted about it on instagram.
    Ah, thanks. I don't use instagram, so maybe that's why I'm out of the loop.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Montgomery View Post
    Here you go: The Bridge | Barbell Medicine

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast