starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Progressive Range of Motion Programming

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Do you have a link to the video? What kind of frequency/volume? Any other pulling?

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Do you have a link to the video? What kind of frequency/volume? Any other pulling?

(skip to 6:39... tried to get the video to start there but it's not working for some reason)

Greg was actually doing sumo rack pulls in training, but pulled his PR conventional. In the comments, he said:

Usually I do max reps. Start with something I can get for 10-12 from just below the knee, and then hopefully wind up being able to pull that same weight for 1-3 from the floor once I make it all the way down
    He also recommended the article that Nate posted above, which I didn't notice the first time going through the comments and am now going to read.
    Last edited by Tim K; 08-04-2017 at 07:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    That's funny, you asked about Progressive Range Of Motion training. That is exactly what Leeman's program is. (PROM)
    Fair enough, the acronym went right over my head. Still, even though the name is the same it doesn't sound like the same protocol based on what you wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Greg was actually doing sumo rack pulls in training, but pulled his PR conventional.
    Maybe the sumo pulling strengthened some musculature that was holding back his conventional DL? Also consider that Greg Nuckols has pretty freaky genetics for strength.

Quote Originally Posted by manveer View Post
    Maybe the sumo pulling strengthened some musculature that was holding back his conventional DL? Also consider that Greg Nuckols has pretty freaky genetics for strength.
    Yeah, I thought of that and it's quite possible. But the progressive range of motion thing seems to have worked for others as well, without the confounding factor of pulling sumo. Also my deadlift is where his was before doing this and I want to pull 725 too. I'd even settle for 675, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    Yeah, I thought of that and it's quite possible. But the progressive range of motion thing seems to have worked for others as well, without the confounding factor of pulling sumo. Also my deadlift is where his was before doing this and I want to pull 725 too. I'd even settle for 675, lol.
    I guess there's only one way to find out if it works!

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    I guess there's only one way to find out if it works!
    Yeah probably. I might try it some time in the future but right now more traditional programming is working for my deadlift so I'll just keep doing that until I need to try something else.

I think a lot of it is ROM-dependent. A lot of the people I know who've had success with it had lockout issues, and progressive ROM training lets you train your lockout with relatively high volume and intensity. When I was pulling 645, I could break close to 700 off the floor, but I had lockout issues (in hindsight, that probalby had something to do with how I was training my squat. I was pushing squat training REALLY hard at the time, so I was very strong positions that somewhat mimicked where squats are challenging – high degrees of hip flexion – but wasn't as strong in positions where squats are less challenging – closer to full hip extension). I think I got a bit stronger off the floor with progressive ROM training, but I got a LOT stronger at lockout, which is what paid the biggest dividends.

tl;dr if you're weak at lockout, it's worth a shot. If you have a more typical sticking point near the floor, it may not do much for you.

Quote Originally Posted by gnuckols View Post
    I think a lot of it is ROM-dependent. A lot of the people I know who've had success with it had lockout issues, and progressive ROM training lets you train your lockout with relatively high volume and intensity. When I was pulling 645, I could break close to 700 off the floor, but I had lockout issues (in hindsight, that probalby had something to do with how I was training my squat. I was pushing squat training REALLY hard at the time, so I was very strong positions that somewhat mimicked where squats are challenging – high degrees of hip flexion – but wasn't as strong in positions where squats are less challenging – closer to full hip extension). I think I got a bit stronger off the floor with progressive ROM training, but I got a LOT stronger at lockout, which is what paid the biggest dividends.

tl;dr if you're weak at lockout, it's worth a shot. If you have a more typical sticking point near the floor, it may not do much for you.
    In this context, it makes perfect sense and seems clear how it would work. I didn't understand the premise that others were discussing of rack pulls translating into being stronger off the floor.

starting strength coach development program
    Clearly digging the holes was the real secret to this technique.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast