starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Multiple runs at The Texas Method?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hanley View Post
    These forums are starting to suck. Start a new Barbell Resistance Forum.
    Most lifting forums suck. Elite forums like RTS are have no members, paid forums like for Jim Wendler are definitely not worth the price, and I assume bodybuilding.com and t-nation.com suck too with no basis besides prejudice.

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Most lifting forums suck. Elite forums like RTS are have no members, paid forums like for Jim Wendler are definitely not worth the price, and I assume bodybuilding.com and t-nation.com suck too with no basis besides prejudice.
    Why go on

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Where did TM end in terms of numbers? I'm assuming we're talking squats.

Anyway, the consensus is that TM isn't good for anyone, because it's too stressful and doesn't cause enough stress at the same time. That is, intensity on 5x5 can get too high to recover from, and eventually might not be enough volume to cause enough stress for an adaptation (e.g. if, say, 350x5x5 volume day is causing you to grind like hell, you can probably get a decent effect and recover easier doing 305x5x7).

Everyone here also believes that pressing/pullingvolume and frequency sucks in TM.

If you've moved on from TM, there's no real point in going back.
    I'm currently grinding it out with volume day at 370x5x5 and intensity at 425x1x5. I can't argue with anything you said that makes perfect sense.

Check out The Bridge at barbell medicine, it's the most complete, free RPE-based program around these parts, it's a periodized program, it's simple and easy to modify. I'd say it should take the place that Texas Method was previously intended to fill here.
    Im aware of the program and have debated running it long before the bridge came out with Jordan's original version on his website. My problem is that I'm too much of a pu$$y to run an rpe program. I would probably never squat over 315 (i squat in the 4s) because it would feel too hard. I function better by assigning myself a task and nutting up to get it done.

Quote Originally Posted by BradBv View Post
    Im aware of the program and have debated running it long before the bridge came out with Jordan's original version on his website. My problem is that I'm too much of a pu$$y to run an rpe program. I would probably never squat over 315 (i squat in the 4s) because it would feel too hard. I function better by assigning myself a task and nutting up to get it done.
    You're overthinking it. The goal every week is to make a PR on your E1RM (estimated 1RM from a table), which when the rep range stays the same simply means at least one set is above earlier work, while for new rep ranges, your weight choice reflects the E1RM going up. While having such a goal for a day, let's say a 5@8 squat at 360 lbs, you then do a 5 at 90 and 95% of that and note the RPE. If that is 5@6ish and 5@7ish, you attempt the 360. If instead 340 (~95%) was @8, then you just stay there and try to increase next week. This divorces you from the responsibility of grinding through some horrible 5x5 one day, while leaving you fresh to destroy it the next time that 5x360 suddenly is a @7.5 and you can accumulate that good volume. If you're actually afraid of being soft on yourself with RPE, that indicates a mind that wouldn't accept mind tricks for long anyways.

Progress over time is the metric, not how accurate your RPE is. Your RPE does not have to be super-accurate to accomplish that, it just has to be more accurate than some percentage and/or estimated progress based on earlier performance.

You're overthinking it. The goal every week is to make a PR on your E1RM (estimated 1RM from a table), which when the rep range stays the same simply means at least one set is above earlier work, while for new rep ranges, your weight choice reflects the E1RM going up. While having such a goal for a day, let's say a 5@8 squat at 360 lbs, you then do a 5 at 90 and 95% of that and note the RPE. If that is 5@6ish and 5@7ish, you attempt the 360. If instead 340 (~95%) was @8, then you just stay there and try to increase next week. This divorces you from the responsibility of grinding through some horrible 5x5 one day, while leaving you fresh to destroy it the next time that 5x360 suddenly is a @7.5 and you can accumulate that good volume. If you're actually afraid of being soft on yourself with RPE, that indicates a mind that wouldn't accept mind tricks for long anyways.

Progress over time is the metric, not how accurate your RPE is. Your RPE does not have to be super-accurate to accomplish that, it just has to be more accurate than some percentage and/or estimated progress based on earlier performance.
    Very good points. Ive always known that i will run it eventually. I guess as an early intermediate i like the idea of "forcing" myself to be stronger every week as opposed to leaving it optional.

Also figured id let the adventurists such as yourself run it first to pave the path for the cadets like me.

The goal every week is to make a PR on your E1RM (estimated 1RM from a table)
    Weekly E1RM is a roller coaster of fatigue and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Weekly E1RM is a roller coaster of fatigue and stuff.
    Not sure about "rollercoaster". I'd guess that if you're an early intermediate things would be very predictable. Even for me most of the time things are predictable...I know when my strength will be down or up for the most part.

Ok...in that case I'm sure things would be less predictable.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Jews View Post
    He's got dogshit sleep aka plagued by nocturnal emissions.
    I told you these things in confidence!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast