starting strength gym

Thread: Conditioning Kettlebells and Old Tires

Default Conditioning Kettlebells and Old Tires

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Having read multiple threads regarding KB's on the SS forum, I know I just used a bad word. A preemptive apology to all. However, in my review of the many kettlebell discussions I found a consensus that KB's were suitable for conditioning (I think Rip said, they were good for the lungs). In the absence of a prowler or sled of any kind, have you programmed KB's or tire flipping/tire pounding? If so, with what sort of set/rep/time scheme?

I don't have a sled of any kind but do live on a farm and have access to a lot of old tractor tires and I happen to have access to a lot of KB's at different weights and in pairs. I had used the KB's a lot prior to SS. If KB's or tires can help the conditioning on GGW without adding unnecessary soreness or palm tearing (VO2 snatch training is ideal for removing the skin from your palms) I'd like to explore folding them in, since I've got access to them.

If however they are best served as barn floor dressing, so be it.

I'm presently on my second run through GGW. I started about 3 weeks ago. I had downloaded KSCPL and I've used the assistance exercises listed in that program as a template for adding one or two assistance exercises at the end of the GGW program as specified.

Add them in if you want, but don't overdo it.

10-4. Thank you Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Add them in if you want, but don't overdo it.
    Would this be considered overdoing it? (skip to 4:50 if it doesn't do so automatically)

Not for KK. Guy has an unreal work capacity. My experience with most of the mere mortals that post on these boards though is that they wind up doing a very high volume of light kettlebell stuff that contributes nothing to strength and generally just serves to build up a bunch of inflammation.

I'm not really "pro" or "anti" kettlebell conditioning, but I think most of the people who ask about them could probably spend their time doing more useful forms of training. Although I do like them better than tire flips.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Not for KK. Guy has an unreal work capacity. My experience with most of the mere mortals that post on these boards though is that they wind up doing a very high volume of light kettlebell stuff that contributes nothing to strength and generally just serves to build up a bunch of inflammation.
    Yeah I wasn't trying to make a serious point, I just came across this video shortly after reading this thread and thought it was funny. KK is a monster.