starting strength gym

Thread: Extra pulling volume on SS?

Default Extra pulling volume on SS?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I initially did dumbbell rows on SS to help with a shoulder issue, the dumbbells didn't go past 60kgs then I reintroduced PCs (roughly 3-4 weeks ago). I have long forearms relative to my humerus so it makes racking the clean an issue. It lands on my hands instead of my shoulders, and now my wrists are starting to hurt.

I want to do another pulling movement instead of PCs so as to help recovery from deadlifts and get extra pulling volume. I'm probably going to do power snatches but, in case I can't get the form down, is there any other pulling movements that are acceptable for SS? I tried doing light 1x8 of haltings the other day as I was too lazy to try power snatches. It was a bad idea as my lower back was pretty fatigued come my next deadlifting session. Would light rack pulls be acceptable since it will spare my lower back, allow for recovery from deadlifts and help get extra pulling volume? Are partials a bad idea for a novice? What about RDLs, SLDLs etc?

I should add that I will try to do PCs at a later stage when I can get coaching from an SSC.

Thanks.

I have to longer forearms, I just grab the bar wider to facilitate the rack . . .

I did heavy supinated barbell rows for while. . .like the kind pictured on the recent SS site front page.

I don't know how Rip does them; I would guess the Pendlay way (concentric focus only).
    I'd ask him, but he'd just call me a pussy again.

I really concentrated on holding an extended back, and did the opposite of the Pendlay, holding the bar off the ground.
    You get a nice hammy stretch. The your back "gets practice" getting and staying tight.
    Isometrically I guess. Different type of light stimulus. Good for light day IMO.

Eccentric loading is important for muscle growth.
    Not much is done on SS LP on the "rowing" side of things ... other than chins.
    And most people just sorta drop in the eccentric portion of that (chin ups).
    Pendlay rows are concentric only movement.
    Your back (upper back, lats, rear delts, rhomboids, traps, etc) is 2-3x times the size of your puny moobs and anterior delts.
    Probably going to need some moar work/volume other than some isometric loading from deads & squats, and a token set of chins here or there.

But yeah, got off topic there . . . the iso hold of the bent row position maybe enough from a "pulling" standpoint.

If you can only recover from heavy deadlifts on the LP once a week, you could place the deadlifts on your 3rd training day, do a lighter variant of DL on Monday for 3x5 at around 70-80% of your DL workset, and row on Wednesday. RDLs, SLDL, or paused beltless deadlifts are probably your best bet for a DL variant at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post
    I initially did dumbbell rows on SS to help with a shoulder issue, the dumbbells didn't go past 60kgs then I reintroduced PCs (roughly 3-4 weeks ago). I have long forearms relative to my humerus so it makes racking the clean an issue. It lands on my hands instead of my shoulders, and now my wrists are starting to hurt.

I want to do another pulling movement instead of PCs so as to help recovery from deadlifts and get extra pulling volume. I'm probably going to do power snatches but, in case I can't get the form down, is there any other pulling movements that are acceptable for SS? I tried doing light 1x8 of haltings the other day as I was too lazy to try power snatches. It was a bad idea as my lower back was pretty fatigued come my next deadlifting session. Would light rack pulls be acceptable since it will spare my lower back, allow for recovery from deadlifts and help get extra pulling volume? Are partials a bad idea for a novice? What about RDLs, SLDLs etc?

I should add that I will try to do PCs at a later stage when I can get coaching from an SSC.

Thanks.
    I like touch-n-go deadlifts when done correctly. Correctly meaning you "tap" the floor quietly "like a ninja" I wouldn't recommend them without seeing what your deadlift looks like. Another pulling variant I've successfully used is halting deadlifts. You can always just deadlift lighter too. I find that RDLS don't do a whole lot and that some sort of pull from the floor is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by SS2016 View Post
    I have long forearms relative to my humerus so it makes racking the clean an issue. It lands on my hands instead of my shoulders, and now my wrists are starting to hurt.
    Have you tried experimenting with a wider grip? It's sometimes a great help to us long-forearmed lifters. Use the hook grip too. It can be tough to rotate the elbows around quickly enough to make a good catch.

As for your pulling, I wouldn't add partials to your routine. Your benchmark is increasing your deadlift when that day rolls around. It looks like right now the absence of the PC is your only deviation from the routine. Hopefully you get some instruction soon which will help you decide if you will improve at them and be pain-free or if your anthropometry nudges you in the direction of snatches instead.

I find that lighter deadlifts (70-80% of 5RM) for a few sets of 5 were the best option for a light pull day for me. I do them with WL shoes and a small deficit to make things fun.
    RDLs makes my hamstrings too sore and are too light. SLDL just feels weird.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the responses guys.

I have already tried a wider grip for my PCs and it didnt make too much of a difference. It felt a bit weird though, so I probably need some coaching. I wont get access to coaching for another year so I'll wait until then, as given my litany of injuries, anthropometrical (dont know if that's a word) issues, I'm probably going to injure myself if I keep going without coaching.

I tried power snatches and they were ok. I had a little bit of an arm pull but racking it was difficult. I have an anatomical kyphosis of the thoracic spine (basically a hunch back) so I couldn't rack it effectively.

I deadlifted tonight and found it pretty difficult despite the weight not being too high (160kg x 1 x 5 PR). I was losing lumbar extension off of the floor so I'm considering either doing a lighter deadlift, SLDLs or haltings (although I should be pulling in the mid 400s for sets of 5 before doing partials).

Thanks for everyone's input