starting strength gym

Thread: Dug myself a hole TM

Default Dug myself a hole TM

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy

im 7 weeks out from my first meet and currently running out the texas method for the 1st time. Been getting stagnant the last couple weeks on intensity day and starting to miss reps. Ill show the last 2 weeks volume and intensity day squats
    VD 365x5x5/ ID 420x2x2
    VD 370x5x5/ ID 425x1x2
    VD 370x5x5/ ID 425x1x4

420 felt ok, 425 was too heavy to maintain good form. My joints hurt, im exhausted, and feel sick almost in that all i want to to is rest. Definitely some overtraining creeping in.

I plan to take a good reset on squats and deads and reduce volume for a week or two while basically running a HLM to focus on recovery. Is this a good stradegy? Any thoughts/ suggestions?

Change your volume day to 3-4 sets of 5 and reset to about 345. Reset your ID to 375 x 5. Run that out as best you can and make your last really heavy volume workout the Monday that is about 2 weeks out from the meet. Your last ID approx 8 days out from the meet should be some heavyish singles across. Monday before meet should be about 3x3 at maybe 80% of what your opener will be. Do a light Squat/Bench on Weds and meet on Saturday

Will do Andy thanks.

Thanks Andy.
    So starting with 375 on ID 6 weeks before my last ID should i do 2 weeks of 5s, 2 weeks of 3s and 2 weeks of singles? Also, do i stay conservative with 5lb jumps? This would yeild no prs until the meet.

I'd be more aggressive with my jumps. You just need 1-2 weeks to "let off the gas pedal" a bit to let some fatigue dissipate. Use your plan of 5s, 3s, 1s, and take bigger jumps to hopefully set a PR towards the end of the cycle. Just make sure those singles in your week are challenging, but don't shoot your wad in training by hitting an all out 1RM the week before the meet

starting strength coach development program
    You'll probably want to ramp your volume sets back up more aggressively too. You can keep your sets down to 3-4 but if things go right perhaps you can be hitting 375-385 for sets of 5 across at your last volume workout. Work backwards from that last week of training and pre-plan all your workouts between then and now. I like this better than just "going by feel" right before a meet.