starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Abbreviated warmups

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    It's 4 warmup sets, 3 of which are a single.

For press I go 20x5, 58x3, workset.
    Saw 2*20 for some reason, but you just have 1-3 less warm-up sets than most and it works for you, it's still reasonable... What's with 58 though?

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Saw 2*20 for some reason, but you just have 1-3 less warm-up sets than most and it works for you, it's still reasonable... What's with 58 though?
    I want to know as well. Does the gym have 19kg plates ?

In any case, doesn't the rest between work sets take up much more time than the warmups? I'm squatting in the mid 300's now and with a 5 minute rest between the last warmup and the first work set and then 6-8 minutes between work sets, I'm looking at over 20 minutes of just resting during the squat work out. My warmups are something like 45 x 10, 135 x 5, 225 x 3, 255 x2, 285 x 1, 315 x 1. I'm 56 years old and had a torn adductor last year so I use the warmups to make sure everything is prepared for the work sets (no weird feelings in the adductor area) but the warmup time is still probably less than one intra-work set rest period and very necessary (for me).

Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Let me paraphrase and comment on what I think I'm hearing:

"Sure. Just do a set or two of warmups and get on with the work sets."
    >> Great. I like hearing what I want to hear. :-)

"You don't need all the fives. Just do a rep or two for each of the warmup sets, like 45x5, 65x1, 85x1, 95x1, 115x1, 135x5x3"
    >> Well that doesn't help too much, as it's not the reps that matter, it's the number of sets at different weights as I spend a lot of time shuffling plates. Extra reps just add a few seconds to a set.

"Shouldn't the resting between work sets be the primary time-sink?"
    >> Not really. I rest maybe a couple of minutes between each work set, less between warmups. I'm sure that will have to change as the weight gets heavier.

"Warmups are important to learning the technique."
    >> Good point. I'll have to keep that in mind, especially as a novice I need some work in this department. I'll make a video-post in the technique area on this too.

"Warmups might not matter much now, but they will when weights start getting heavy."
    >> I'll worry about that when/if they do start getting heavy. Last year I stopped at a 165lb squat and now I'm at 135. Perfect warmups that I quit on won't do me much good either.

"Maybe you should re-evaluate your commitment level."
    >> I have. I'm not willing to spend the amount of time required to maximize my possible strength and get close to what anyone (on this forum) would consider very strong. I hope that a much lower level of commitment is better than nothing.

I really appreciate everybody's thoughts here. I think what I'll do is try going back to a standard, recommended warm-up path and remind myself how much longer that takes and see how it impacts my ability to get in a workout. I'll keep it flexible though, so if I don't feel like doing all the warmups on a day - I won't. I'll do 3 sets of 5 at reasonable weights and roll with it.

Are you doing a general warm up? Are you resting between warmup sets? If so, stop. Then take half of your work set rest period before the first work set. That'll save you some time there.

Stop doing sets of 5 for every warm up set.

The first warm up set, and maybe two or three once you get much stronger, are to warm up your body. Everything after that is to prime your CNS and to practice technique (your technique on very light sets is off because you almost need the weight to be in the right position).

So for 165 I'd do this:

Bodyweight x 10 (Repeat until your knees and back feel good. Ditch these after you get to 225.)
    Bar x 5
    95 x 3 (Put on your belt now.)
    135 x 1
    Rest
    Work sets.

For reference sake, I do this for any squat session:

Bar x 10 x 1-2
    95 x 5
    135 x 3 (Add belt)
    185 x 1
    225 x 1
    The remaining jumps are singles in 25lb increments.

I am doing my first work set in about 15 minutes which includes a 5 minute rest period after the last warm up set.
    I don't need the belt that early, but it changes my form, so I want the most practice with it that I can get. I could probably dump the 95 & 185 sets, but I have a bum shoulder and like the smaller jumps to get it ready for bearing the heavier weights.

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Warmups are overrated if you're not injured. I do a set of 5 with the empty bar, then a single with each plate added until I'm at my workweight.

Before i fucked it off for a break, it went like

20kg x5
    58kg
    100kg
    140kg
    Workset, vaugely between 180 and 195 kg.
    Took about 10 minutes all told, including setting up and reracking, plus a token set of chins or two or some neck work.
    Listen to JC. He may be the most time-efficient lifter on the forum (or Chebass88). Load and lift for your warmups.

Mike T says he takes 20 minutes from when he puts his gym bag down to when he does a single with 700 lbs. So, you should be able to warm up and squat 135x5x3 in 30 mins.

Of course, I am not one to talk. I take forever. Do as I say, not as I do.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis6890 View Post
    "You don't need all the fives. Just do a rep or two for each of the warmup sets, like 45x5, 65x1, 85x1, 95x1, 115x1, 135x5x3"
    >> Well that doesn't help too much, as it's not the reps that matter, it's the number of sets at different weights as I spend a lot of time shuffling plates. Extra reps just add a few seconds to a set.

"Shouldn't the resting between work sets be the primary time-sink?"
    >> Not really. I rest maybe a couple of minutes between each work set, less between warmups. I'm sure that will have to change as the weight gets heavier.
    If you only need 2 minutes of rest between work sets, then you definitely aren't lifting heavy enough (for you) to need more then 2-3 warmup sets. Do 45x5, 95x3 (WITH NO REST IN BETWEEN) and then get to fucking work.

Quote Originally Posted by mdavis6890 View Post
    Thanks so much for all the feedback!

Let me paraphrase and comment on what I think I'm hearing:

"Maybe you should re-evaluate your commitment level."
    >> I have. I'm not willing to spend the amount of time required to maximize my possible strength and get close to what anyone (on this forum) would consider very strong. I hope that a much lower level of commitment is better than nothing.
    If you're not concerned with getting stronger, do whatever the hell you want, it really doesn't matter. But if you want to get stronger, you gotta put in the time.

Rest time between warmup sets should be the time it takes to walk to the rack, pick up the two right plates and put them on the bar. Maybe a minute to grab a sip of water, adjust your balls and take a deep breath.

starting strength coach development program
    I recommend this video:

How To Properly Warm Up - YouTube

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast