starting strength gym

Thread: GGW - 2nd cycle

Default GGW - 2nd cycle

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

I finished week 11 of GGW two days ago. I like the program very much and plan to run a second and third cycle.
    The HLM style works very well with my life (you know: job, kid, business travel, sometime bad sleep) and without assistance exercises I get most of the full body workouts done within 60 min (which is sometimes important).
    If time permitted, I have added 10-15 min of assistance exercises.
    Weeks 1-6 felt easy, 7-9 were rather tough, weeks 10-11 felt rather easy again.

Some background on me and my plan for my second cycle:

Stats:
    6 feet, 225lbs, 34 years old
    SQ: 295, DL 340, BP 180, Press 135
    (this are the weights I used to calculate the numbers for my first run of GGW)
    I plan to test DL and Press next week and use those numbers for the second cycle
    Squat and BP will be increased by 5%.

My goal for this cycle would be to introduce PC as a light pulling movement and bring it up 180-190 so that it can serve as medium exercise in my third cycle, while introducing the power snatch as light pulling movement.
    I think I quit my SSLP on the PC rather early at 150x3x5 half a year ago . That said, and considering that I have now access to better coaching of the movement, I would try if there are some LP gains left and start with 135x3x5 increasing the weight by 5 pounds per week.
    Once this is no longer sustainable I would switch to 3 weeks cycle of 5x3, 6x2 and 10x1 increasing the weight by 5 pounds.

As I have never trained front squats I would like to do front squats as a light squat exercise. I would start with 135x3x3 and run a LP, increasing 5-10 pounds per week. Once LP is no longer possible I would also switch to a 3 weeks cycle of 3x3, 4 sets of 2 and 5 singles increasing weight by 5 pounds.

Andy I hope you can help me with my questions:
    1) Does the PC plan sounds reasonable?
    2) Does the FS plan sounds reasonable?
    3) If the PC plan makes sense, what would you recommend to da as a medium pulling exercise:
    a. stick with the program as written
    b. RDL using straps for three week cycles of 3 sets x 8, 3 x 6, 3 x4
    c. Practice PC for 5 sets of 2
    4) Would you recommend to switch every cycle the focus between BP and press?

Thanks for the great program and your reply.

Martin

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Stiff Leg Deads or RDLs
    4) Either way, just depends on which lift is most importnat to you. Maybe try alternating your focus and see how each pressing movement responds under both circumstances

For me, oddly enough doing the press focused variation, I PR'd both my press and ​my bench by 10 lbs.

Hi Andy,

thanks for your prompt reply, much appreciated.

One other question regarding conditioning:
    In another thread about kettlebell swings and tire flips you mentioned that these exercise should not be overdone. My goal for conditioning would be to maintain/increase work capacity. The conditioning would be done in our apartment, without access to rower, bike etc..
    Considering my possibilities (27, 36, 54lb kettlebell, jump rope, bodyweight circuits) I am thinking about doing the following KB swings plan 3 times a week:
    Week 1: 10 swings EMOM for 10 minutes
    Week 2: 10 swings EMOM for 12 minutes
    Week 3: 10 swings EMOM for 14 minutes
    Week 4: 10 swings EMOM for 12 minutes
    Week 5: 10 swings EMOM for 14 minutes
    Week 6: 10 swings EMOM for 16 minutes
    I would not do any conditioning for weeks 7-9 and go by feel and available time for the remaining week 10-12.

Would you consider this as overdoing? If you have something better in mind, please let me know.

BTW I liked your conditioning article on your website.

Thanks,

Martin

That plan is fine. I don't think that is overdoing it. Adjust as needed based on results.