starting strength gym

Thread: Just starting out

Default Just starting out

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    First post, apologies if this isn't the right spot to ask this, or the improper format.

I'm a 39 year old novice lifter who has spent some time in the gym, on and off over the past 15 years, but never really stuck with a program for very long or attempted any sort of program like SS.

I started SS Monday night, and am scheduled to do the B program tonight, I have some soreness, nothing incapacitating but I am moving about a little gingerly. My first question is, should I do the B workout and just work through the soreness? Is this normal, especially when first starting out?

Second question, due to travel constraints, I will have to perform the A workout Friday morning, which would be ~36 hours after tonight's workout, as opposed to the prescribed 48 hrs. Is this ok?

Thanks for the help.

fd

Push through the soreness. It's to be expected. Once you get 2-3 workouts under your belt you won't really get too sore anymore. Often times the second workout is the worst because you have to train through some very severe soreness. By the time you get to the end of your session you won't be sore anymore. The worst thing you can do is not train. Then you'll stay sore for 4-5 days.

Train when you can, don't get lost in the details of things like 48 vs 36 hours, etc.