starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I lower the weight increases now?

Default Do I lower the weight increases now?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just finished my 2nd workout on my 5th week of SS. I have been increasing my lifts by 10lbs lower and 5lbs upper. Last week the app told me to start incorporating chin-ups into my workout A routine so I incorporated lat pulldowns because chin-ups are a little too advanced at the moment. Last Friday I got all my reps on all my lifts except for my overhead press where I got 4,4,3. Today I overhead pressed the same weight and got 5,5,3. On the last set I went slower on the eccentric because I have been feeling that for my bench press and overhead press I have been somewhat dropping the weight down rather than being in good control of it. I didn't do a 3 count or anything but just slowed it enough that I was in control the entire time. My squat has been awesome until today I got 4,4,3. I probably could have gotten another one on my last set but I would rather be safer than not get out of the hole. As I said, this is my 5th week. Should I do a deload week then continue? My weights are 80lbs on the overhead press which I failed twice, 205lbs on the squat which I failed for the first time today, 90lbs on the bench press which I got on Monday, and 235lbs on the deadlift which I got today. Should I switch to 5lb increases on my squat and 2.5lb increases on the overhead press, take 10% off and go up again, drop dead lifting 3x/week and start power cleaning (I would prefer to deadlift 3x/week as long as possible), or just attempt the weights again? Something else? Thank you.
    Last edited by tlifter; 08-09-2017 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Being nice

Sounds like you had a tough week, since it's more than one exercise and more than one rep missed. It happens.

Take a small deload so that you nail all three sets of five for every lift and try harder to sleep and eat for recovery.

Edit: You asked when to power clean. I referenced my copy of SS:BBT3. See page 296. Rip recommends having command of the deadlift, especially the pull from the floor portion, before adding the clean. So it's more about when your technique is solid versus waiting for your deadlift weight to slow down.
    Last edited by BareSteel; 08-09-2017 at 09:49 PM. Reason: when to PC

Thanks. I will work hard on Friday and do my best. I will deload next week so the following week will hopefully be great. I read page 296. Thank you for pointing that out to me. He also said on page 296, "until the freshness of the deadlift has worn off a little and after the quick initial gains establish the deadlift well ahead of the squat." I enjoy deadlifting so "the freshness" will never wear off and it wasn't until I missed today's squats that I feel the deadlift is "well ahead of the squat." I don't consider deadlifting 30lbs more than the squat as "well ahead" but 40lbs is. So, you remembered one part and I remembered another, but you are right. I suppose I will start power cleans after my deload.

Quote Originally Posted by BareSteel View Post
    Sounds like you had a tough week, since it's more than one exercise and more than one rep missed. It happens.

Take a small deload so that you nail all three sets of five for every lift and try harder to sleep and eat for recovery.

Edit: You asked when to power clean. I referenced my copy of SS:BBT3. See page 296. Rip recommends having command of the deadlift, especially the pull from the floor portion, before adding the clean. So it's more about when your technique is solid versus waiting for your deadlift weight to slow down.
    Last edited by tlifter; 08-10-2017 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Elaborating on the deadlift

You don't give any details but for reference I'm M/46/5'5/156.

I microloaded my press and bench in week 4 as I just felt I could not keep the 2.5kg (5.5lbs) increments going. I'm doing 1kg (2.2lbs) on the press and 1.5kg (3.3lbs) on the bench. On the press I barely get my 3x5 each time.

Quote Originally Posted by tlifter View Post
    Thanks. I will work hard on Friday and do my best. I will deload next week so the following week will hopefully be great. I read page 296. Thank you for pointing that out to me. He also said on page 296, "until the freshness of the deadlift has worn off a little and after the quick initial gains establish the deadlift well ahead of the squat." I enjoy deadlifting so "the freshness" will never wear off and it wasn't until I missed today's squats that I feel the deadlift is "well ahead of the squat." I don't consider deadlifting 30lbs more than the squat as "well ahead" but 40lbs is. So, you remembered one part and I remembered another, but you are right. I suppose I will start power cleans after my deload.
    The freshness of the deadlift doesn't refer to how much you enjoy it. Eventually, it's going to tax you and you'll feel the fatigue affecting your other lifts.

And you don't need a whole week to deload.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    The freshness of the deadlift doesn't refer to how much you enjoy it. Eventually, it's going to tax you and you'll feel the fatigue affecting your other lifts.

And you don't need a whole week to deload.
    Thank you. I took yesterday off because I was feeling beat up and tired yesterday. I made sure to get lots of sleep last night. I will deadlift today and depending how I feel Monday, I will either deload or lift normally except include the power clean this time.

What's your age/height/starting. body weight and current bw?Starting weights? Technique? Rest periods between sets?
    Don't worry about one lift being slightly ahead of the other it will even out eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    What's your age/height/starting. body weight and current bw?Starting weights? Technique? Rest periods between sets?
    Don't worry about one lift being slightly ahead of the other it will even out eventually.
    I'm almost 29, 5'8, I started at a bw of 180 now I'm 175. Before the year off from lifting I was 196 and my strongest but I want to lose some fat before bulking again. I'm following the diet Jim Wendler describes in 5/3/1 2nd edition. Drink a protein shake before meals and then eat some protein, carbs, and fruits/vegetables until you are satisfied so protein isn't the problem but I know trying to lose weight and get stronger is an uphill climb but when you are lifting beginner weights its something you can get away with a little. My weight has been fluctuating weirdly this week. I started with everything too light because I wanted to reinforce proper form and I know the weight will come, but I'm not new to the lifts except for the power clean. I've been lifting for years but I took a year off because my job gave me no time to lift. I was getting 3 hours of sleep a night. My starting weights were squat 85x5 but I was going ATG. I deep squat because I competed once and want to compete again. Now my squat is deep but not ATG. Last night I did 205 3x5. I told you I started too light. My bench press started 65x5 and last night I did 95 3x5. I haven't missed any reps yet but I'm starting to feel the weight which is good. My overhead press started at 55x5 and I have missed reps but gotten stronger each time at 80lbs twice. I noticed I had been letting the barbell sort of fall on my chest on the bench press and overhead press so this week I focused on slowing it down but not doing a 3 count or anything like that. As I get more reaquainted with both, I will speed it up so I'm in control but going faster down. My deadlift started at 115x5 which since deadlifting was the hardest lift to learn for me, I thought I would need a lot of time to relearn that but actually form came back very quickly so last night I pulled 245x5. I take 3mins between sets but last week and this week I have sometimes felt like I need to take 5mins on the squat. I know 3-5 is the norm.
    Last edited by tlifter; 08-13-2017 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tlifter View Post
    I'm almost 29, 5'8, I started at a bw of 180 now I'm 175. Before the year off from lifting I was 196 and my strongest but I want to lose some fat before bulking again. I'm following the diet Jim Wendler describes in 5/3/1 2nd edition. Drink a protein shake before meals and then eat some protein, carbs, and fruits/vegetables until you are satisfied so protein isn't the problem but I know trying to lose weight and get stronger is an uphill climb but when you are lifting beginner weights its something you can get away with a little. My weight has been fluctuating weirdly this week. I started with everything too light because I wanted to reinforce proper form and I know the weight will come, but I'm not new to the lifts except for the power clean. I've been lifting for years but I took a year off because my job gave me no time to lift. I was getting 3 hours of sleep a night. My starting weights were squat 85x5 but I was going ATG. I deep squat because I competed once and want to compete again. Now my squat is deep but not ATG. Last night I did 205 3x5. I told you I started too light. My bench press started 65x5 and last night I did 95 3x5. I haven't missed any reps yet but I'm starting to feel the weight which is good. My overhead press started at 55x5 and I have missed reps but gotten stronger each time at 80lbs twice. I noticed I had been letting the barbell sort of fall on my chest on the bench press and overhead press so this week I focused on slowing it down but not doing a 3 count or anything like that. As I get more reaquainted with both, I will speed it up so I'm in control but going faster down. My deadlift started at 115x5 which since deadlifting was the hardest lift to learn for me, I thought I would need a lot of time to relearn that but actually form came back very quickly so last night I pulled 245x5. I take 3mins between sets but last week and this week I have sometimes felt like I need to take 5mins on the squat. I know 3-5 is the norm.
    Ok, thanks for the detailed response. a few things:
    1) upper body exercises are extremely sensitive to body weight changes. Be sure to accept the fact that these will go to shit sooner than others when cutting.
    2) increase your periods. Jordan has an article somewhere that states 3minutes you have 80%ATP recovered and 95%at 5min. Rest at least 5min.
    3) I think you should post a video of your press and bench.
    4) I think you should talk to Jordan about your nutrition and weight scenario. I don't think you should be trying to lose weight at the moment, personally.
    5) Are you doing the novice LP as written or have you added other stuff? Conditioning, etc?

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you for the great response. I will extend my rests to 5-6mins. Yeah. I'm doing the novice LP. I'm not adding in any conditioning or other work. A couple weeks ago the app told me to start doing chin-ups. I'm not quite strong enough for chin-ups so I'm doing lat pulldowns.
    Last edited by tlifter; 08-13-2017 at 08:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast