starting strength gym

Thread: Programming around SSC session

Default Programming around SSC session

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Andy,

First off, thanks for the free service - you helped me get this program started a few weeks ago on this forum. Much appreciated.

I'm on a HLM plan:
    M - light squat, Press (light pressing day), heavy pulls
    W - med squat, paused bench (med press), PC
    F - heavy squat, heavy bench, light deadlifts (medium "pull day")

After mostly cleaning up some deadlift form issues that had my pull held artificially low, I've temporarily gone to a deadlift LP (other lifts are on the HLM schedule above). The last couple weeks, I did a LP on my DL 3 x a week. This is now reduced to two heavy LP pulls, done M and F, with PC in between. Once I stall or start feeling too beaten up, I'll put my pulls on the HLM schedule with my other lifts.

My question:
    I'm seeing a SSC Thursday to work out remaining DL issues. The session is 1-hour, making doing "heavy" day 5 x 5s unlikely if we want to get pull issues addressed. This complicates my programming this week, since I'm supposed to squat heavy on Friday. I did my usual Mon workout yesterday; my thought on altered programming for the week is:

W - do Medium Press, Heavy squat
    TH - SSC session - heavy pulls
    F - Heavy press

This would have me eliminating Medium squat day, and it would be increasing the time between H squat day and my next L squat day by a couple days. Does this seem like a good work around to you? Any alternative suggestions if not?
    Thanks
    Scott

Just don't go into your SSC session sore. That is annoying when people do that. Alter your week as needed to accommodate the session. One hiccup in your programming isn't going to derail you.

Ha, I wouldn't expect that to be common, but I guess I overestimate people. Yep, will ensure I'm fresh - going to do medium bench only today, squats/deads tomorrow w/the coach. I'll see if I can fit my usual F heavy work in before next week, but if not, as you said, no biggie long term.

Thanks
    scott

On an related note, I'm going to go to a seminar shortly and was wondering the same thing. Should I just take that week off since I hear there is a lot of actual lifting over the three days of the seminar?

The seminar is hard physically. I would not go into the thing sore. If you make your last workout Wednesday of that week you should be fine for Saturday's lifting. There is no lifting on Friday night. For Friday I'd just make sure you are well rested mentally and not distracted. If the material is new to you and you don't have a physics background and you haven't watched 1000s of people do the lifts, then material requires some focus.