starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Light day for squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalton Clark View Post
    This is not exactly an uncommon occurrence; however, it also indicates that you are a lot stronger than you are thinking you are. If your fifth rep was the easiest of the set, it means that you could probably have done a sixth and maybe even a seventh rep. Don't do that, since it isn't the program, but you are getting to a weight where the squat can become unpleasant. I forget which coach it was (Tom maybe?) who said that starting at close to 300 no squat will ever 'feel good' again.

Also +1 the form check suggestion
    Form check incoming. I do feel confident about it since I did a 100 pound deload and started again at 145 and worked back up. Have a good sense of the "bottom out." I may have missed depth on my last squat today though, if I did it was by a hair though. Probably because the bar speed started going up so I was nervous about slamming down too far when I'd already been struggling.

I feel you on the not feeling "good." But it sure is satisfying to rack that bar.

Also, I will say the volume of the power clean and snatch does seem to be a bit strange. I have not yet moved to performing them due to severe deadlift issues; however, I don't believe that is recommended and it could definitely be hurting you. I would recommend that you pick one or the other and alternate them with the deadlift as the standard program suggests. Deadlifting, cleans, and snatches all done at the same workout just sounds like a ton of pulling. However, if you do find yourself enjoying the power variants of the Olympic lifts, I would suggest (WHEN YOU'RE AN INTERMEDIATE), finding a good coach and pursuing the Olympic lifts. The power clean and power snatch are amazing at developing explosive strength, but there is an argument that early on the deadlift should take priority. Very glad to hear that you find them invigorating though, but that could very well be that you enjoy them. It sounds like you are very much a 'mental' lifter. I believe Rip suggests something like this as far as pulling goes for novices:

Day 1: Deadlift
    Day 2: Power Clean
    Day 3: Deadlift
    Day 4: Power Snatch

Once you are having a hard time recovering from heavy deadlifts every other workout, you could do

Day 1: Deadlift
    Day 2: power snatch
    Day 3: power clean
    Day 4: power snatch

My rationale for this is that the primary stress would be the deadlift while the snatch is done at light enough weights that it would still let you recover from that. This is assuming you want that much heavy technique/power work. The other alternative is chins (and/or back extensions) to remove a deadlift day, but I get ahead of myself.

P.S. Get a form check on the power clean and snatch. Also, I make suggestions based on my understanding of the theory behind Starting strength, but I am in no way a coach. I have programming changes made for me by my coach but not everyone is so blessed. Coaching yourself is very difficult so it is up to your own judgement on whether anything I say is of value to you.
    Last edited by Dalton Clark; 08-18-2017 at 07:06 PM.

Since my deadlift hit a PR at 295x5 today, I think I have a ways to go before I can't recover from them quickly. Especially since I've been ramping them up 10 lbs every workout, and doing them every training day.

Interestingly, it was exactly when I started doing this to catch my deadlift up that I started grinding on my squat. I suspect I have a dozen kilos or so of easy gains on the squat left to go now that I have moved to 5lb jumps, every other workout on the deadlift.

you are getting to a weight where the squat can become unpleasant. I forget which coach it was (Tom maybe?) who said that starting at close to 300 no squat will ever 'feel good' again.
    So true. I thought I had maybe one or two more 5# jumps in me around 50# ago, but they keep going up. When you feel that dread, let it motivate you to just eat your way through the next jump.

Quote Originally Posted by cfreetenor View Post
    Since my deadlift hit a PR at 295x5 today, I think I have a ways to go before I can't recover from them quickly. Especially since I've been ramping them up 10 lbs every workout, and doing them every training day.

Interestingly, it was exactly when I started doing this to catch my deadlift up that I started grinding on my squat. I suspect I have a dozen kilos or so of easy gains on the squat left to go now that I have moved to 5lb jumps, every other workout on the deadlift.
    I find this to be rather un-interesting and entirely expected. The muscles involved in the deadlift and the squat as far as actually moving the load are basically identical with the exception of percentages contributed to the movement. Yes, adding 30 pounds to your deadlift every week is going to be stepping on the toes of your squat progress. Not only is it interfering with the recovery of them, it is also just generally making you more tired and less able to exhibit the adaptation. At this weight and this point in the program, every other day for deadlifts is a compromise between deadlift progress and squat progress. I also wouldn't ever let yourself start planning at what weight you might fail. Itchysoles has clearly demonstrated that this is almost always wrong and a waste of time to do. In the case of someone under 30, a typical NLP (novice linear progression) could probably see them squatting at least 315 for sets. Yes, I know that the strengths standards says a 1RM of 280, but that is a 'standard' meaning a benchmark that you SHOULD DEFINITELY GET and not the average.

I'm also live a bit wildly. I don't drink or do drugs, but I work late and stay up late a lot and I don't always keep track of my food other than "a lot of food when I can". I'm sure I have a lot more in me.

I find this to be rather un-interesting and entirely expected. The muscles involved in the deadlift and the squat as far as actually moving the load are basically identical with the exception of percentages contributed to the movement. Yes, adding 30 pounds to your deadlift every week is going to be stepping on the toes of your squat progress. Not only is it interfering with the recovery of them, it is also just generally making you more tired and less able to exhibit the adaptation. At this weight and this point in the program, every other day for deadlifts is a compromise between deadlift progress and squat progress. I also wouldn't ever let yourself start planning at what weight you might fail. Itchysoles has clearly demonstrated that this is almost always wrong and a waste of time to do. In the case of someone under 30, a typical NLP (novice linear progression) could probably see them squatting at least 315 for sets. Yes, I know that the strengths standards says a 1RM of 280, but that is a 'standard' meaning a benchmark that you SHOULD DEFINITELY GET and not the average.
    I have a lot of power on the other side of the grind. I started grinding my bench at 175, and I haven't failed a rep since.

I'm one of those guys that looks stronger than they are. It makes sense to me that a lot of adaptation remains to be made in my CNS. That's why when one workout after squats almost killed me, I squatted again and went for PR on bench and got stronger on the last two reps of each set.

It's happening a lot. First rep is a grind, then they're solid after that.

I'm also live a bit wildly. I don't drink or do drugs, but I work late and stay up late a lot and I don't always keep track of my food other than "a lot of food when I can". I'm sure I have a lot more in me.
    This is definitely going to catch up to you and sooner than you think.
    I have a lot of power on the other side of the grind. I started grinding my bench at 175, and I haven't failed a rep since.

I'm one of those guys that looks stronger than they are. It makes sense to me that a lot of adaptation remains to be made in my CNS. That's why when one workout after squats almost killed me, I squatted again and went for PR on bench and got stronger on the last two reps of each set.

It's happening a lot. First rep is a grind, then they're solid after that.
    I would say that it goes from 'a little tough' to 'every set is a struggle' a lot faster than you're expecting. But it sounds like you're making great progress and that is all that matters.

starting strength coach development program
    I went to squat today, after not doing anything stupid over the weekend, and 255 felt incredibly easy. I think I'm 'in the grind' now where I'm just getting good at it. I actually went and asked the staff to make sure that all the bars were the same weight.

I meant to film my last set, but I got excited and forgot. It definitely felt deep, moreso than on Friday.

Also, I went to weigh myself and the scale said 189.2 lbs. I had taken a few solid BMs beforehand, I'd had a lot of caffeine, and my clothes were pretty light, I maybe had 2-3 pounds of extra stuff. So I've gained about 25 lbs since the first week of June.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast