starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions on HLM video

Default Questions on HLM video

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Andy,

Thanks for the superlative content you share on your YouTube channel. I find myself preferring your website articles and videos for programming knowledge than the book itself. As an aside, it would be far meaningful if you could add a HLM section to the book expanding on and consolidating your articles and videos rather than burying it under the Starr model. Given, all your contribution towards making sense of this very malleable and yet difficult to grasp template.

The question;

You prescribe a Wednesday workout of light squat, light press and heavy pull. For what I'm doing now, it would translate to, Front squat, press and heavy deadlift. Light press, even if it's referred to as "light", it would have press intensity and volume of 4 to 5 sets. All these exercises (including front squats) involve the upper trapezius. So, by the time I come to the heavy deads, I'd probably have tired and weak shoulders. Wouldn't it make better sense to make it a heavy press day, i.e., heavy bench to give the shoulders a respite before they get to the heavy pull?

I think you are over analyzing. You can easily Deadlift after pressing and front squatting. If you are worried about it, then go Press/Deadlift/Front Squat.

Whilst slightly off topic, Giri has a great point regarding HLM at the start of his post.

Andy, you are doing some great work with promoting HLM. If there was ever you wrote a "HLM for idiots: a handholding exercise in spoonfeeding", I would most certainly get a copy.

I'm finding it hard to wade through all that is written, and prioritise the info to apply to myself (PP3, website, articles, vids).

And once again, well done on your practical and pragmatic (re: no bullshit) approach to programming that sets you apart.

Thanks. I try to remain free from bullshit. In the Youtube/Instagram age of self-promotion its hard to get noticed (i.e. sell shit to make a living) and remain boring. But so far people seem to be liking my videos. I still don't understand why people would want to watch me workout but the videos get alot of positive feedback and my sales/subscriptions increase when I do them.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Thanks. I try to remain free from bullshit. In the Youtube/Instagram age of self-promotion its hard to get noticed (i.e. sell shit to make a living) and remain boring. But so far people seem to be liking my videos. I still don't understand why people would want to watch me workout but the videos get alot of positive feedback and my sales/subscriptions increase when I do them.
    Remember, the most popular video of Blaine Sumner is that of him consuming a "chicken-shake", out stripping the viewership of his 1000+ squat by quite the margin

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    I think you are over analyzing. You can easily Deadlift after pressing and front squatting. If you are worried about it, then go Press/Deadlift/Front Squat.
    Yeah, I think some of this has to do with personal preference. I always get my heaviest work for the day done first. Seems to work well for me.

My advice, in regards to the OP's question: try an approach that you are leaning towards. If it works, great. If not, switch it around. No big deal. That's how you learn when you don't have a coach...

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Yeah, I think some of this has to do with personal preference. I always get my heaviest work for the day done first. Seems to work well for me.

My advice, in regards to the OP's question: try an approach that you are leaning towards. If it works, great. If not, switch it around. No big deal. That's how you learn when you don't have a coach...
    Agreed. I see that HLM is flexible enough to move around the three lifts as long as the underlying logic is kept intact.

Hey andy,

How would you program a split routine (H/L) with the same weekly stress, for lower body only, of the HLM presented in the video?

I ask that because for split routines, TM is too stressfull (heavy/heavy), H/L 5x5 (heavy) then 3x5(light day) doesn't look too stressfull. What template is in the middle of these two? A heavy/medium? does that exists?

starting strength coach development program
    The "light day" in a HL routine is relative. The exact volume and loading will vary from lifter to lifter. If it's too easy where it provides no training stress or effort then make it harder. Bump the weight up a bit, maybe add a set, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast