starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: pain across bottom of rib cage

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had a similar problem after deadlifting with a 4 inch belt. In my case, I bet it was a overstretched muscle or ligament, not the belt.
    The belt felt uncomfortable, I removed it without lowering the weight. Bad idea. I felt a light stretching in my rectors in the last set. The next day my lower ribs hurt on the side and front. I could stand and walk but lying pained, had to take Ibuprofen to sleep. Deadlifting and bench pressing hurt. I just did a verry light training for 2 weeks, skipping everything that hurts. Later I added bench pressing with an empty bar, sometimes doing only one rep. Same with deadlifts, empty bar for two weeks. The next 6 weeks I carefully added weight, I'm close to my last max, now. My ribs still make themselves felt from time to time but every day a little less, so it's healing.
    I would recomend a much lower weight than 80% and skipping the belt. Work your way up as long as the pain stays away. If you experience any pain, it wasn't the belt. Add the belt later, at 70 or 80% and see what hapens. Get well soon.

This is really weird timing because I am literally going through the same thing! I began to feel pain in the left oblique/low rib cage area last Wednesday after training. Didn't feel it during any particular lift but started as a dull pain/soreness throughout the day. I decided to take a couple days off and returned to the gym this past Saturday. While doing my first work set of squats (@ 80%) I felt a sensation at the same area on my third rep followed by immediate increased pain. I couldn't finish my workout due to the pain and have been using ice/heat treatment along with ibuprofen throughout the weekend. The pain is beginning to diminish thankfully and I plan on taking a few days off this week and then return with light weights to see if the pain gets worse. After doing some reading about this type of injury it definitely sounds like I may have been wearing my belt (3" 10mm) too tight and too high. I'm going to wear it one hole looser and lower on my waist and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by ManBurrito View Post
    I may have been wearing my belt (3" 10mm) too tight and too high. I'm going to wear it one hole looser and lower on my waist and see how it goes.
    Exact same happened to me too. Wearing the belt a little looser solved it.

+1 for belt too tight/too high. Back in the end of June my gut/belt pushed the ribs of my right side up, felt them move out of place. Took a couple of weeks off to heal and went to the doctor. He told me intercostal strain, just take some ibuprofin but no reason not to keep lifting. Started back up with more attention to belt placement.

Interesting thread. I've recently started having problems trying to sleep on my side, because of pain on right lower rib cage, where my belt is when deadlifting. I wear it high and tight, so maybe I should try changing that and see if my ribs get better.

Rip recommends a narrower belt for the Deadlift:

The Belt and the Deadlift | Mark Rippetoe

Thanks for the last few posts.

Wish I had better news for recovery, but here's where I'm at:
    - I had a normal weekend (72 hrs) recovery following the original incident. I returned Monday and continued my progression on squats and bench, omitting any deadlifts. Things felt as if they were improving, but then things got worse.
    - The following Monday, I continued with my squats and bench, but added unweighted pull ups and deadlifts with bar only. Even more bothersome.
    - I'm at the point now where I realize that I probably didn't take enough time off in the first place. I plan to start Starr Recovery Protocol starting next weekend. That would consist of 5 days complete rest then starting at the ground floor with the offending lift. (In this case, deadlift). I'll then work that every day slowly adding weight. On day 10, I'll add squats and presses back with a modified linear progression.

I guess I can't figure out what pains to work through and what pains and soreness indicate that I need to take more agressive action. Unfortuntately, I loose a lot when I need to attend to my injuries as bouncing back is much more difficult (and slower) at age 49.

BTW, I only use a 3" belt for both squats and deadlift.

Well, I thought I was out of the woods. After taking four days off, I started the Starr Rehab: 35x25x3 for both DL and squats, the two exercises that, ultimately, were the most bothersome. By the end of the third rehab day (45x25x2; 55x25x1), I was in so much pain that I went to the emergency room. After a full workup, the doc thinks this is nothing more than a strain. Just out of ideas other than a week or two off and linear progression or Starr Rehab once I am completely pain free. Darn! THis is like no training for a month!

Quote Originally Posted by jack.haefner View Post
    Well, I thought I was out of the woods. After taking four days off, I started the Starr Rehab: 35x25x3 for both DL and squats, the two exercises that, ultimately, were the most bothersome. By the end of the third rehab day (45x25x2; 55x25x1), I was in so much pain that I went to the emergency room. After a full workup, the doc thinks this is nothing more than a strain. Just out of ideas other than a week or two off and linear progression or Starr Rehab once I am completely pain free. Darn! THis is like no training for a month!
    Damn. That sucks! Just curious, what exactly did the doctor say it was a strain of?

My pain is still lingering on as well. Decreases/increases throughout the day. Wearing my belt lower on the waist, and a little looser has (thankfully) helped. I've decreased my squats by 80% (since that's the lift that aggravated the pain) and am currently only increasing tonnage by 5lbs to get back to where I was prior to injury (285 3x5). So far, it's okay. I also use ice/heat pad treatment status post workout which does help.

Have you tried some of the lift variations (pin squats, rack pulls, etc.)? Maybe one of those might not make matters worse and you can still continue training.

Either way, good luck on your rehab!

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks, ManBurrito. The ER doc concentrated more on potential internal indications than the actual strain itself. He put me through a EKG, xray, CAT scan, and blood work. That said, he was not shocked about the cause (DL) nor did he tell me to stop lifing. That's a good thing.

I will say this: At almost 50 yrs old, SS has taught me--or is attempting to teach me--patience. I've had to restart a number of times since I've started about 18 months ago: first, from some pain underneath my shoulder blade; second from a ulnar ganglion; and third from a knee debridlement. Despite the injury, life is good, my friend.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast