starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: losing body fat while on beginner linear progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by ivankannan View Post
    I didn't refute the fact that scales are wrong (in fact I hope your scale is wrong).
    All I am saying is that somebody will know it when he is 20% BF. Nobody is going to be at 10% and feel extremely uncomfortable about the fat.
    They are inaccurate and inconsistent. Literally useless.

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    Don't be so sure about that.
    Ok fine. My scale says I am at 19%, hmm.. probably I am at 6% BF..

@TomC, I get your point - some people may be deceiving themselves into thinking they are fat even though they are at 10% BF.
    I hope OP isn't in a situation like that.
    Edit: I do hope OP is in a situation like that and that his BF is much lower that 20%.
    Last edited by ivankannan; 09-26-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    Scales that measure bodyfat are notoriously inaccurate, to the point of having no value.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankannan View Post
    @TomC, I get your point - some people may be deceiving themselves into thinking they are fat even though they are at 10% BF.
    I hope OP isn't in a situation like that.
    I was making more of a general point. It doesn't sound like the OP has any eating disorder issues.

OP,
    I don't know what your build is like but I hover around 209-214 and I'm 5'11" and not squatting 275x5x3 (I don't have a power rack to use damnit) and you weigh almost 20 pounds less than me. I honestly can't believe your at 20%bf because everyone told me I was at 20%bf. I don't know if it will help or make a difference but my other lifts look like this

Front squat (power cleaned to shoulders): 195lbsx5x3
    Bench Press: 210lbsx5x3
    OHP: 52.5kgx5x3
    Deadlift: 365lbsx5
    pullups/chins: 3x5@16kg/3x5@14kg
    Shrugs: 265lbsx5x3

I am uncomfortable with my fat, but I am still improving my lifts every week. I am more comfortable with that. You got some good advice on this thread, talk to John Sheaffer, cut down on your carbs, or do the carb curfew (unless you train at night), and in general just lift your ass off. I bet you will burn your fat up if you truly are stonger than me and are 15-20 pounds lighter.

How the fuck is that possible? Your current BW was my goal weight for when I left my deployment, but now that I'm around 210, I don't think 190 would have been good, I think it would be too small. Who knows, October is focus on diet month so we shall see where we go from there. Hopefully I can drop the last 10ish pounds before Nov gets here.

Peace

my bench press is only 190lbs for 3x5(just did that today!! and my deadlift is only 310lbs, so you beat me in those departments. i weigh myself first thing in the morning on an empty stomach so maybe that matters.

as for the accuracy of my scale, everything is going to be a little inaccurate. when i am 13-15% BF according to the scale, i look like i am, when i am higher, i look like i am higher.

its still a steady reading. meaning it wont say i am 5% one day and 13% another day. i am no where near being between 10 or 15% bf, so anyone thinking that is a dumb ass.

im definately up there, people call me fat(fuck them, they dont know how to get strong). i am definitely at an unacceptable level for fitness

Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    i have a scale that measures weight, BF%, and a few other things. i track it frequently. every morning i stand on it.
    Measuring in the morning will tend to make your BF% reading higher as you will be de-hydrated from the overnight sleep.

These scales are incredibly inaccurate (I have one), and as bamzi said vary especially with hydration status. Also, people of normal height under 200 lbs on SS who guesstimate their BF tend to overshoot by quite abit, from what I've seen.

That said I can highly recommend using some of Johns methods (carb curfew especially). And if you cut anything from your diet it should be exactly that - carbs.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    These scales are incredibly inaccurate (I have one), and as bamzi said vary especially with hydration status. Also, people of normal height under 200 lbs on SS who guesstimate their BF tend to overshoot by quite abit, from what I've seen.

That said I can highly recommend using some of Johns methods (carb curfew especially). And if you cut anything from your diet it should be exactly that - carbs.
    I will take that into consideration. i know for a fact that i am not being to critical about my body fat percentage. if you were to see me in real life you would agree that i am a bit over.

i copy pasted this post in the john shaefer section but it has not been posted or replied to. im hoping the copy pasting was ok to do. its obvious that i am not spamming this place

i never got a response from rip because my post was moved and i havent got a response from john for unknown reasons......

this is depressing! i need to continue with my goals!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast