starting strength gym
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does muscle gain require extra calories?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    With 20% I don't you should go MAD at all.
    Again, I disagree - just do it for awhile and then sort it. I started with a higher % bf and did about 3/4 GOMAD (all I could manage) and didn't put on any fat, at all. But as I've said elsewhere, my case is not a model one in terms of my being inconsistent outside of short spurts - at least I didn't gain bf (I did back off from the milk if I missed more than one workout) and in fact I was headed in the opposite direction while I was still doing the program. I doubt I'd tolerate the sorts of intestinal distress I've read from some on the board, though -- so there are all kinds of reasons the full program may not work for you -- but you're just cheating yourself if you don't START there.
    Last edited by tallison; 01-06-2011 at 10:50 AM.

GOMAD is not for you. Just eat a lot of good foods. Chicken, beef, eggs, fish, veggies, fruits, rice, beans, etc. If you're putting weight on the bar, you're on the right track. If you stop making progress, you may have to re-evaluate.

Details details... Start lfiting, eat more meat, drink some more milk and watch what happens. IF you lose weight, start eating more. If you're gaining more than 2lb/wk I would expect that you'll be adding more fat to an already fatty body, so chill out a little bit.

You are not in a position right now to be concerned about skim vs. whole milk.

Why not just start SS and see how it goes. Begin by just lifting, and adding a little bit extra protein in. Once the weights start to get heavier, if you feel its harder to recover between workouts, just add a bit more protein in. For the first couple of months at least, for people like us who are 20%+, GOMAD is really unneccessary in terms of recovery... I ate a lot for the first few weeks, and noticed my bodyfat increasing, and I realised that jumping from a 50 kg to a 100 kg squat really wasnt that energy intensive... Im more than positive I could have done what Ive done so far on maintenance calories.... For the last few weeks, in an attempt to remain able to fit into my suits, Ive stopped eating so much... Id be suprised if I was eating above 2500 calories a day... My weight has remained the same, and all my lifts have gone up. I think if theres one thing you should really focus on and perhaps the main thing thats been holding me back so far is making sure you get more than adequate sleep every night... as a college kid I struggle to get 6 hours a night, regularly getting much less, but truth be told even this hasnt really halted my LP yet.... I think the first two or three months are much easier than people think, provided you eat at least maintenance, get decent sleep, and just lift.

Thanks for the great replies, everyone. I greatly appreciate your help! So, I guess the best approach is to start the program with a high-calorie diet as recommended in the program (GOMAD if I can down it all) and then make adjustments based on what results.

Just one point you need to understand: Fat is not particularly bad for you, and there is nothing in skim milk that makes it more useful than whole milk. If you want fewer calories, drink less milk / eat smaller steaks. The fat carries most of the nutrients in the milk and fat is a great fuel for your body. I'll spare you a longer rant on diet, just be assured that fat doesn't make you any fatter than anything else you eat -and a lot less than soda and "fat free ice cream" will.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    drink less milk / eat smaller steaks.
    That doesn't work for the simple fact that he would reduce his protein intake, which is a bad thing.

Alwyn Cosgrove referenced some study on pubmed in a podcast interview where trainees gained muscle on 800 calorie diets, so the subject as phrased probably isn't completely accurate.

Noone seems to have mentioned that its not just excess calories necessary for muscle gain but very specifically protein, as the amino acids necessary for protein synthesis in our muscles cannot come from fat or carbohydrate, only from dietary protein. One common approach is hit at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day.

starting strength coach development program
    I'll just add some advice - I don't know how you determined that you are 20% BF, but I would probably say that it's incorrect. I weigh a little more than you (73kgs) and I'm 2 inches taller. My scale also tells me I'm 20% BF but there is no way in hell that I am. I wouldn't worry about %'s.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast