starting strength gym

Thread: Broken great toe

Default Broken great toe

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A 45 pound steel plate tipped over directly on my great toe. The distal phalanx (tip) of the big toe is crushed. Black blue, swollen etc. This is confirmed by x-ray. I'm using a hard-sole shoe, ice and lots of tylenol. Sort of hobbling around.

I'm a intermediate 40+ female lifter doing 5-3-1. I'm in the middle of a cycle.
    Anyone have any experience trying to squat and deadlift with a broken big toe? I see lots of little toe experience...This week is my heavy lifts (170 squat, 225 deadlift).

Should I just lay off big lifts for a few weeks and just do the upperbody type lifts? I really, really hate when a cycle gets interrupted.

Sara

I dropped a 25 lb plate on my foot from the height of the bar on a bench press rack. Broke the two toes next to the big toe and bruised the metatarsals. I finished my workout that day, and I was able to lift continuously afterwards. Walking hurt for a while, though, as did putting on shoes. You shouldn't flex or load your toes very much during the slow lifts, but you'll just have to try it and see.

Smile

Update:
    Well, my coach (who just returned from the Coach's conference) said not to squat or deadlift "until it feels better." I could put a shoe on yesterday, so I figured it must feel better :-)

I was on the 5-3-1 week, so squatted 180 X1. Heaviest I have ever done. And I didn't try for any extra because, well, crushed big toe...

Sara

I have injured my big toes a couple times at judo. They turn blue and swell up. I never went to the Dr., so I don't know if it was ever broken or just sprained, but I gave it 2-3 weeks each time of no workouts and it healed. Lot of ice and ibuprofen helps.

Never had it that bad. But I've used tape to deal with toe-pain (fractures?) before. It seems to act as a splint, kept "things" in place, and thus reduced pain. A couple rounds above and below the distal joint on the big toe helped.