starting strength gym

Thread: Doing Starting Strength with Ulcerative Colitis

Default Doing Starting Strength with Ulcerative Colitis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey everyone, It's my first thread on this forum and I hope someone can help me out. I'm 37 5'10" 190lbs. I've been doing SS for about 2 months and all was going well until my U.C.(Ulcerative Colitis)started flaring up big time. Anyone on this board that may have it will know what I'm talking about.
    For the uninformed, its basically inflamation of the large intestine. It causes multiple bowel movements daily, improper nutrient absorbtion and some other nastiness related to your poop chute that I wont get into.
    Since this flare really got bad about 2 weeks ago I've had minimal gains with the lifts and watched my DL drop 20 lbs. to 235. Needless to say I'm pissed.
    Any chance anyone on this board is cursed with the same affliction, and if you are how do you deal with it. I'd appreciate any feedback that anyone has to offer.

A big part of the program is eating more calories to fuel growth and sustain progress. You simply have to accept that it is going to be more challenging for you to comply with that part of the program. You will need to be observant over what triggers your flare ups in terms of the sort of foods consumed, the macronutrient ratio etc. Many people have had some success by moving towards paleo, and supplementing with fish oil probably wouldnt hurt. When the flare ups occurr you will just have to take the effects on the chin and deload as necessary and build back up. It will take you more time, but you still should be able to maintain an overall upwards trajectory.

http://robbwolf.com/2012/01/23/testi...ative-colitis/

Note that it's not just paleo, but the autoimmune protocol of paleo (which restricts things like nightshades as well) that helps many people with UC, chrohn's, IBS, etc.

I'm going to take a serious look into the paleo thing. That type of diet has been mentioned several times on a forum I visit that strictly deals with UC. I never really looked into due to part skepticism and just that the name made me think that it would be a cost prohibitive diet for me to maintain(I am super poor). But the UC has gotten worse and my lifts went down yet again, so like I said, I am going to seriously look into it. Thanks for the replies!

Please PM me if you'd like to talk about "doing paleo" on a budget; I have a lot of ideas and experience, as well as resources, I'd be happy to share.

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    Please PM me if you'd like to talk about "doing paleo" on a budget; I have a lot of ideas and experience, as well as resources, I'd be happy to share.
    Reps for serious community spirit.

starting strength coach development program
    Google Clint Darden