starting strength gym

Thread: Back Pop

Default Back Pop

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was a member of a competitive drumcorps for several seasons and marched bass drum for all of them. For those of you who may be unaware It was a 12 hour a day gig every day all summer. In my final season i carried a 62# bass drum whose center of mass sat approximately 22 inches from my chest. Anyway, since that season, i've had a chronic click or pop in my back on the right side of my spine about an inch below the bottom rib when i lean to the left. It will feel very tight, then "pop" and feel good i suppose is the way to describe it.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? Should i be worried?

Thanks all

I have no background in medicine, however I do experience the same back crack/popping as you, brought on from repearedly carrying awkward heavy things in construction. I've asked both my doctor and a physiotherapist with a degree in Kinesiology this same question. They explained that when you stretch open the joint, in your case, leaning to the left, you create an area of negative pressure in the synovial fluid that surrounds your joints and a nitrogen bubble forms. This is the popping/cracking sound. Generally speaking, it isn't harmful. Here's another doctor's explanation.

Good luck!

thanks Bob,

I figured it was not too much to worry about as its been a while since it started and i'm lifting more weight than ever. With increased strength it has seemed to pop with less frequency even